Today i will tell you about my 180sx, i took her off the road about 6 years ago to put a vq30det into it and thus far i have not finished it.
not that one, the other one.
So i bought another 180sx as i was sick of not driving the “vq project” one and i really wanted to do some skids.
I bought this teal one, sight unseen and it was delivered to my house.
I won't go on about how much that was a sheet idea, what i will do is quickly list everything i've done to it in the last couple of months.
cleaned it, looks like someone threw up into the carpet and never cleaned it.
removed the Tiens with chopped springs and installed stock suspension
New water pump.
New eBay china radiator (ASI)
New Powered By Max Intercooler Kit
New clutch master, slave and braided line.
secondhand full 3" exhaust system
Installed turbosmart boost gauge
Turbotech eBay boost controller - 12Psi
removed rear ebay special lights that were painted over and installed stock ones.
installed other 180sx front bar with working indicators
installed GKtech solid engine mounts (turbo side was broken)
swapped 3.9 LSD diff for my 4.3 ratio 2 way diff
by about this stage i was ready to drive it, so we went of to the drags.
both runs i did the car was misfiring and acting up, returning from the second run we got a nice spun bearing noise...so the car was straight onto the trailer.
so the engine came out and went to the mechanic.
the next day it was ready to go again, new bearings installed, no crankshaft damage.
while the engine was out :
fixed a broken exhaust stud
fitted an oil sandwich plate, for pressure gauge
installed a heater hose bypass made by josh (metalcraft)
installed a GKtech water temp neck adapter.
installed brand new s14 water neck
installed braided lines for turbo water
installed GKtech pivot ball (stock was snapped and barely hanging in)
installed GKtech solid steering shaft spacer
Seam Welded the engine bay
Installed a Fuel pressure gauge
Installed the oil pressure gauge
Installed GKtech bash plate
Test drove the car and it was still acting up, no bearing noises just the sheet running on load.
Static pressure from the fuel pump was showing fine, but i couldn't check running pressure...
as i had a brand new walbro sitting there, i installed it.
car was running and driving fine.
it was at this point i installed a full roll cage and some rally tyres, loaded her up and took her to the farm for some skids.
for those who are unaware, we have a dirt racetrack
Car went great, minus the exhaust falling of and the turbo gasket blowing out...but there is a plan to fix and improve!
I already have a highmount mani, 45mm turbosmart gate, 1000cc injectors & Garrett 3082, so these will be going on the car sometime soon - so stay tuned.
I have way too many pics to embed here, so i put them here.
Pics of when i got it :
Pics of the above mentioned changes
for good measure :