•  

• Welcome to

Hello and welcome to SilviaWA, You will require an account to use selected sections of our forums, you can register an account by clicking the register button at the top of the screen.

Photo

Modifing Your Car?

• Please log in to reply
    41 replies to this topic

#1 Syncope

Syncope

yeah, you too.

• Inactive
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 4,629 posts
    • Name:akkk
    • Cars:
      car

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:02 PM

What can I modify without approval ?

http://www.dpi.wa.go...ions/minor.html

When is approval required ?

http://www.dpi.wa.go...s/approval.html

Modified exhaust systems

http://www.dpi.wa.go...ns/exhaust.html

Alternative engines

http://www.dpi.wa.go...ons/alteng.html

Suspension

http://www.dpi.wa.go...tions/susp.html

Braking System

http://www.dpi.wa.go...ions/brake.html
    S R i

#2 BNR34

BNR34

GT Spec

• Inactive
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 537 posts
    • Name:Andy
    • Cars:
      2008 BMW 335i
      2012 Jeep Liberty Sport

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:44 PM

so what does the braking system mean? you can go bigger without approval?
    Andy Not Aus Just a daily

#3 Oddz

Oddz

"Check this out bro..."

• Hall Of Fame
    • 2,572 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:57 PM

Modifications to the braking system of a motor vehicle are permissible only where listed by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for the particular model.

No....you may go bigger if the model of vehicle you own had a bigger option.
    I'd love to be the one to dissapoint you when I don't fall down. ------------------------------------ Fat kids always win at see-saw ------------------------------------

#4 BNR34

BNR34

GT Spec

• Inactive
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 537 posts
    • Name:Andy
    • Cars:
      2008 BMW 335i
      2012 Jeep Liberty Sport

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:46 PM

So silvias? you can go r33 brakes then as different model...interesting
    Andy Not Aus Just a daily

#5 mek

mek

Caffeine Junkie

• Inactive
    • 2,642 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:48 PM

thats stupid though...that means you couldn't get a permit for GTR brakes because its not a model option on any silvia. Yeah? :unsure:

Name: Kyle
    Car: RB S13

Posted Image

#6 Noon

Noon

K's Spec

• Inactive
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 431 posts
    • Name:Noon
    • Cars:
      S2000

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:12 PM

So what would happen if you had like a V8 in an s13 and that was approved, then you wanted to turbo that??? what would you do??? Extreme but yeah
    Name: Noon
    Car: Convertible Silvia

A pick up line that works!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Do your neons Change colour???
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Kerry is my mum

#7 6foot

6foot

K's Spec

• Inactive
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 334 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:29 PM

how about pod filter?

#8 Syncope

Syncope

yeah, you too.

• Inactive
    • 4,629 posts
    • Cars:
      car

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:03 PM

how about pod filter?

http://img.photobuck...takeexhaust.jpg
    S R i

#9 Carlos

Carlos

OAP Reprezentin the LBC

• Inactive
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 882 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:08 PM

thats stupid though...that means you couldn't get a permit for GTR brakes because its not a model option on any silvia. Yeah? :unsure:

I think the way it works is you need to get an engineer to say it's ok and compatible and then you get a permit.

I've got a mate donig up a LJ Torana with a big ass V8 in it (not an option from factory) and he has hadto get an engineer to sign off on everything...recently he was talking to me about his brake upgrade as the pits require bigger brakes cuz ofthe bigger engine (obviously) and he was wanting to put on HQ brakes but has been stopped at the mo cuz although they fit and are technically compatible Holden won't say yeah it's ok in writing they told my mate verbally) so the engineer can't sign off on the brake conversion until he gets an ok that the HQ brakes are ok for the LJ Torrie...

Thats my understanding of what he told me only about 3 weeks ago...so i'd say the same would go for GTR brakes on a Silvia...same manufacturer...i take it they are compatible and not too much *silly* about to have them fit properly (if any?? I don't know) but cuz the Model of the car is different you run into problems...

All i kinow is that this mate of mine is constantly having to have an engineer sign off on everything cuz of the modificatinos to a car that didn't have them as an option from the factory...
    Name: Wookiee Location: South Guildford Car: 2002 Pewter S15

#10 Carlos

Carlos

OAP Reprezentin the LBC

• Inactive
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 882 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:14 PM

Good post too Syncope...hopefully one of the Admin's will pin this like the Road Traffic Act and Vehicle Standards thread...

#11 Ben

Ben

Licensed to ill

• Hall Of Fame
    • 2,525 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:45 PM

7. The noise level of the modified system must not exceed the noise level of the manufacturer’s original system by a noticeable amount.

That bascially rules out all our a/m exhausts.

rim width shall not exceed 177.8 mm (7") unless specified by the manufacturer as standard equipment for the vehicle in question. No increase in rim width is permitted for vehicles fitted with original equipment rims in excess of 177.8 mm (7") width

This one means we have to stick with ROH Adrenalines and Blades
    Name: Ben
    Car: 05 Pulsar

Taste the back of my crystal fist,
    Taste the back of my crystal fist,
    Clog up the resevoir causing friction!

#12 Carlos

Carlos

OAP Reprezentin the LBC

• Inactive
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 882 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:40 PM

7. The noise level of the modified system must not exceed the noise level of the manufacturer’s original system by a noticeable amount. I jsut like how they use terms that leave themselves open to arguement.... "noticable" whats noticable to you isn't noticeable to some one else with a hearing disorder for eg (not you specifically Ben, just 'you' in general terms) its like the problem i face all the time with stupid Acts that state "reasonable" whats reasonable to me might not be reasonable to someone else...so many arguements occur cuz of stupid wording like that... But i actually thought they had a db level they tested it by...stating 'must not exceed the noise level of the manufacturers orginal system by a noticable amount' geez thats different for each car i would think...some original zausts are loudert hen other original zausts...maybe by not much, but still one person can have a louder zaust cuz their car originally came with a slightly louder factory zaust... Doesn't really help those of us wanting to get it right first time around...if you want to be synical you could almost say they word it like that for revenue raising purposes as the pit dude might think its more noticably louder than you do so he makes you go away and probably result in paying an extra pit fee for reinspection if you can't get it right first 1 or 2 times around (i know thats extreme but you get my point...) even "rim width shall not exceed 177.8 mm (7") unless specified by the manufacturer as standard equipment for the vehicle in question. No increase in rim width is permitted for vehicles fitted with original equipment rims in excess of 177.8 mm (7") width" is different from what i've previously read about not exceeding 1" above manufacturers original width or some thing to that effect...

Edited by Carlos, 10 August 2005 - 06:42 PM.

#13 SamwiseB_193

SamwiseB_193

Retired S13 Owner

• Inactive
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 711 posts
    • Name:Sam
    • Cars:
      2014 Veloster SR Turbo - Matte Gunmetal Grey

Posted 23 December 2005 - 05:13 PM

Found this on my computer from way back from the start of 2004.

Not sure if much has changed, but worth a post.

EXTERIOR

BODY
    ====================================
    When modifying a car, the body is one of the most important parts of the process that a modifier goes through. Everything from a paint scheme to the body kits that are more than ever popular are all things that are carefully considered in the build-up of a modifiers ride. The RTA has a few simple rules when it comes to modifying the outside of your ride that doesn't need approval form an engineer.
    One of the first rules in the guideline is that any sharp edges that are exposed need to be covered as to prevent serious injury. Whilst it is ok to have mechanical pieces bursting through the bonnet, the RTA stipulates that it must be covered with an approved bonnet scoop with smooth edges. (The extruding parts must not get in the way of the drivers view or go beyond the roofline.)
    Body kits that are added to any vehicle must be securely put in places. Once again, any sharp edges must be smoothed out to minimize injury. The guide states that none of the cars original structural components are to be tampered with, meaning intrusion bars on the front, sides and rear of the car are to remain as standard. Wide body kits are permitted granted that they don't increase the width of the car any more that 50mm on each side (excluding side mirrors). Rear wings are not allowed to exceed the width of the car at any point and must not contain any sharp edges.
    If you're thinking of changing the colour of your car then don't even bother choosing a paint scheme that is highly reflective. For instance, using any sort of reflective media on your vehicle will dazzle other drivers when hit with direct sunlight or headlight beam. Your ride must also be fully covered in paint with no bare metal showing as this will not only cause rust, but also act as a reflective surface. Airbrushing is permitted, granted that no reflective surfaces are used.
    We all know how phat a severely lowered ride can look, but the legal height is 100mm from the ground at any point. This includes any mechanical pieces (exhaust, diff, etc.) underneath the car.
    If you are intending on adding a sunroof, ensure that structural members in the roof are not weakened. If you are intending on ripping of the roof to create a smooth convertible, ensure that you re-in-force the vehicles chassis, sub frame and structural crossmembers. Please consult with an engineer before beginning a modification such as this.

WHEELS
    One of the first modifications to be performed on any modified car is to fit alternate rims to your ride. However, there are a few guidelines that you need to consider. If you ignore several of the following points, BEWARE, as you can and will receive a defect notice.
    Please remember that although you do not need to notify the RTA when you fit alternate wheels (unless they need to be certified by an engineer), you will have to contact your insurance agency. In the result of an accident, you will not be covered if your insurer is unaware of the modification that you have performed.
    Also note that it does not matter if you have been sold the rims and you still receive a defect. You are responsible for making sure that they are legal.
    Generally, you may only fit wheels that are one inch wider, and increase the track of the car by one inch, over standard specs. Every single car made after 1973 will have a tyre placard (usually applied in the door jamb, engine bay or glovebox) specifying the sizes of your cars factory standard and optional wheels. All replacement tyres fitted to your new wheels must have an overall diameter within 15mm of standard. Go beyond these dimensions and technically, you require approval from an engineer.

Other Points you need to know:
    -the wheel (and tyre) must be contained within the bodywork, which includes flares, when the wheel is in the straight ahead position.
    -the wheel (and tyre) must not foul any part of the body or suspension under all conditions
    -all wheels fitted to the same axle must be of the same diameter, offset, width and mounting configuration (except the spare)
    -the speedometer accuracy must be maintained for the selected wheel and tyre combo
    -a tyre must not be used on a vehicle once the tread has worn to an extent where there is less than 1.5mm of tread depth.

WINDOWS
    While it might be ultra cool to have dark tints on your windows, there are laws in place which mean that you cannot go beyond certain opacity of darkness.
    This law allows all passenger vehicles to have a tint with a minimum visible light transmission of 35% applied to all side and back windows. A band of tint is allowed across the top of the front windscreen, above the arc of the windscreen wipers to a maximum of 10% of the total area of the screen. (Visible Light Transmission (VLT) is the measure of the amount of light that passes through the glass. 35% VLT means 35% of the visible light passes through the glass and the rest of the light is blocked.)
    Reflective or mirror tinted film is not accepted, as it make dazzle other drivers by reflecting sunlight or headlight beams.
    Tinted film that is damaged, bubbled or discoloured or that has deteriorated in any way that affects the drivers view must be removed. The films residue must also be removed.

Other points to be aware of:
    -vehicles first registered on or after 1 August 1994, must have a minimum 35% VLT
    -vehicles first registered before 1 August 1994, must have a minimum 35% VLT unless a darker tint has already been fitted
    -spray on window tinting or finishes is not acceptable.

LIGHTS
    The use of clear tail light covers has increased dramatically over the last year. The RTA's vehicle standards information guide only states that under no circumstances are tinted covers permitted even in daylight hours if they cover turn indicator lights or if they cause the headlights to emit a different colour other than white.
    The guide does specify that the headlights must clearly illuminate at night objects up to 50 metres away, and that rear lights must be clearly visible in darkness from up to 200 metres.
    Fog lights can only be used in fog or poor visibility conditions. The guide claims that fog lights may dazzle any oncoming drivers and cause accidents.
    Please remember that flashing lights of any kind fitted to your vehicle (besides the hazards) are illegal and will earn you a defect. Leave the flashing blue and red lights top the cops.

IMPORTS

UNDER 15 YEARS
    Vehicles that are less than 15 years old and have been imported from outside of Australia must undergo procedures to demonstrate compliance with the applicable Australian safety and emissions standards  (applicable from the date of manufacture), and be fitted with an Australian Compliance Plate. Demonstrating compliance is a complex, expensive and timely process.
    Low volume imports are a select number of the same vehicle that the government has allowed dealers to import under this new scheme. These vehicles, usually second hand cars form overseas, are fitted with a compliance plate and certified that the vehicle meets the Australian Design rules.

OVER 15 YEARS
    Vehicles that were produced outside of Australia are 15 years old but made after 1 August 1972 are not required to go through the process of having an Australian compliance plate fitted. Vehicles covered by this concession must still be brought up to a standard such that the vehicle would meet the intent of all Australian Design Rules applicable at the date or manufacture of the vehicle. The vehicle must also meet the requirements of the RTA and be right hand drive.
    An engineering certificate prepared by a recognised engineer, will be required certifying that the vehicle meets the intent of the relevant ADR's where applicable, and also covering the left to right hand drive conversion.
    Imported vehicles that were manufactured before August 1972 are not required to be fitted with an Australian compliance plate but they must still meet the roadworthiness requirements of the Motor Traffic Regulations and be right hand drive.

LEFT HAND DRIVE
    If your into classic American muscle cars, more than likely you'll want to keep your ride left hand drive. This is permitted under the guideline granted that the vehicle is more than 30 years old and not weight more than 4.5 tonnes.
    Although vehicles covered by these requirements do not need to be right hand drive, they may need to be modified to adapt to Australia's driving environment.
    -headlights, that when dipped from high beam to low beam, dip down or down and to the left
    -flat external mirrors on the drivers and passengers sides of the vehicles that give the driver a clear view to the rear and of any or overtaking vehicles.

These left hand drive vehicles must meet the roadworthiness of the Motor Traffic Regulations and meet all ADR requirements applicable at the time of manufacture.
    The installation of a sign at the rear of you vehicle that displays "Left Hand Drive" is optional.
    To register your left-hand drive vehicle you will need to provide the following:
    -proof of identity (eg. current passport or current NSW drivers licence).
    -proof of acquisition (eg. current certificate of registration, bill of sale, etc.)
    -inspection report ('blue slip') from an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection -Station (AUVIS).
    -compulsory Third Party Insurance ("green slip").
    -weighbridge certificate.

INTERIOR

BASIC INTERIOR
    Another popular modification is to change the factory steering wheel, gear knob, pedals and seats.
    Generally, changing the steering wheel is permitted, granted that the original is not fitted with a safety airbag. Doing so, will not only void any warranty that the car may have, and also void your insurance, it will make your vehicle unsafe in the event of an accident.
    Gear knob changes are allowed, providing that no sharp edges are exposed and that it is secured.
    Adding a set of aftermarket pedals is allowed providing that they have some form of grip available on them. Using pedals made from a shiny metal surface is not allowed, as your feet may slip of the pedals. Please ensure that some form of grip is attached to each and every pedal, and that no sharp edges are exposed.
    When changing the seats, you should ensure that the seats and its anchorage comply with the ADR requirements, which are available by certification from the seat manufacturer or an engineer. The seat must be firmly secured to the base, which inturn has to be secured to the floor of the car. Also note that the level of safety provided by the seat belts must not be reduced.

GAUGES
    After market gauges are permitted providing that they do not get in the way of the drivers vision. A certified engineer must check any gauges that are used to replace the original items so that the readings are accurate. Gauges must also be kept within the cabin and not mounted outside on the bonnet as they could cause harm in an accident.
    Shift lights are also permitted providing that the light is not to bright and will not dazzle the driver, or drivers of other vehicles.

ROLL-CAGE
    The addition of a roll cage to the interior of a car is only allowed if it has been certified by an engineer. The engineer must check that all parts of the cage are secured together and mounted firmly to the chassis. The guide also states that no part of the cage must get in the way of the drivers vision.
    Some form of foam or cushioning must cover any part of the cage that will be exposed. (Eg- any part that you have to crawl over, step over etc.)

STEREO
    One of the most popular modifications that are performed on any car, be it a modified car or a general streetcar, is to update the stereo system. In the modifiers community, this usually means adding two 15-inch subs, a stack of amplifiers, TV screens, DVD players, gaming consoles and a stack of neon lights to 'glow' with it. You see many cars cruising with the music blaring, but remember that the government has introduced some new laws to quieten us down a bit.
    -The stereo must not be played loud between 8pm and 10am on any day
    -TV screens must not be operating while the vehicle is moving. The law requires that any TV or display screen that is installed into a car must not be able to be played unless the handbrake is on.
    -Neon lights must not be functioning whilst the vehicle is moving, it may dazzle other drivers.
    -All wiring is to be hidden out of harms way for fear of electric shock or shorting out fuses

MECHANICALS

ENIGNE
    =====================
    When you're in search for more power, there are simply hundreds of new and old tricks that can be applied to help your ride perform better, and go quicker. Guidelines for modifications to the existing engine in your ride are as follows:
    -modifications must not affect compliance with any emissions or noise related ADR's
    -all emissions control equipment must be retained and functional (A popular and easy mod is to fit an aftermarket pod-style air filter. These are illegal because when you install one of these, it plays around with the air intake sensors. If you wish to install an aftermarket filter, be sure that it fits inside the cars original air filter panel.)
    -if the modification results in a substantial increase in power, than any other component must be modified to accommodate the new found power. Meaning that the brakes, suspension, clutch etc. must be improved to cope with the power increase.

Replacement Engine
    There are set engine capacity limits for a modified vehicle and these are listed below. Owners should note that an engine might not be suitable even though it's capacity falls within the specified limits. You are therefore advised to check details of a proposed engine conversion with an engineer before commencing work.

All vehicles originally having a 4 cylinder engine or a rotary engine as the largest optional engine and weighing less than 1100kg are allowed a maximum engine capacity of (in cubic inches) the original weight (kg) x 0.183 in naturally aspirated form. A supercharged or turbocharged engine is allowed a maximum capacity of the original weight (kg) x 0.153.
    All other vehicles including 4 cylinder and rotaries over 1100kg, 6, 8 and 12 cylinder cars are allowed a maximum capacity (in cubic inches) of the original weight (kg) x 0.294 in naturally aspirated form. A supercharged or turbocharged engine is allowed a maximum capacity of the original weight (kg) x 0.244.

DRIVE TRAIN
    ========================
    If you want to change the gearbox and the diff in your ride, there are a few simple steps you need to adhere to.
    Firstly, when changing the gearbox, you are responsible for making sure that the replacement gearbox fits safely and securely into the original gearbox cross member. Also, where a heavier gearbox is fitted, structural modifications are required to make the vehicle safe. It is recommended that you only fit a gearbox that came as a standard option to your car by its manufacturer.
    Diff changes are fairly simple. The RTA only stipulates that the diff sit no lower than 100mm from the ground and that all parts are secured. When fitting specialised racing diffs, such as a drag racing four-link set-up, you will require a certificate from an engineer stating that the new system has been set-up correctly and meets all safety standards.

SUSPENSION
    ========================
    Another popular and easy mod to your ride is to lower the suspension. Not only does it make the vehicle look phat, but it also improves the handling of your car.
    The RTA says that generally, roll stabilizer bars, axle-locating rods, upgraded shocks and upgraded springs may be used provided that they are suitable for the vehicle and are properly fitted. The following list is of mods that are NOT permitted:
    -welding forged components such as stub axles or control arms
    -fitting longer, non-standard shackles to leaf springs
    -fitting any additional components or altering the suspension so that the wheels or tyres may contact any component under the full range of suspension and steering travel
    When fitting new suspension components, remember that the legal ride height is 100mm at any point from the ground. Also note that the fitment air-bag suspension requires an engineer's certificate. They are not legally allowed otherwise and you will be issued a defect notice if you are caught.

BRAKES
    ========================
    Brake systems must not be modified such that the brake performance is reduced or that the risk of failure of the brake system is increased. Brake discs must not be machined beyond the reconditioning limits set by the manufacturer. When brakes are upgraded using components that are not standard option for the vehicle, for example - race style slotted and cross-drilled rotors, an engineers certificate is necessary to agree with the adequacy of the new system eg: hydraulic fluid sufficiency, balanced braking on all wheels, brake pedal pressure limitations and braking performance.

EXHAUST
    ========================
    Installing a new, less restrictive exhaust system is one of the easiest mechanical modifications that can be performed. The Vehicle Standards Guide state that although there is no limit as to what size exhaust you are permitted to use, there are several rules about the length of the exhaust that must be adhered to.
    For starters, the end of the exhaust must not finish before the last side window that can be opened. Running the exhaust straight from the headers, or running a touring car style exhaust (exhaust exiting from the sides of the car before the rear wheels) is highly illegal and will warrant a defect notice. If your vehicle was fitted with a catalytic converter from standard than one must remain on the exhaust at all times. Cars that run a straight-through exhaust with no mufflers, resonators or catalytic converters are illegally modified.
    The exhaust must not protrude any more than 50mm from the vehicles body work, and must remain 100mm from the ground up.

Original Material found in 2004 on http://www.street-legal.com.au/

Name: Sam
    Cars: '92 180SX SR20DET - [SOLD, Feb 2008]. Now riding a camel 🐫.

Successful Trades: cceg, DSTURBED (x4), rexhunta (x2), UE-S13 (x2), hyp, untamed racing

#14 ybeblu

ybeblu

J's Spec

• Inactive
    • Pip
    • 44 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:26 PM

handy stuff to keep in mind. I was lucky car already had some permits with it. Thanks Woody!!
    [B]I NOW BELIEVE WESTSIDE IS THE BEST SIDE

#15 Syncope

Syncope

yeah, you too.

• Inactive
    • 4,629 posts
    • Cars:
      car

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:43 PM

Found this guide somewhere, may prove to be useful.

Suspension:

Lowering - a good gauge of legality is to measure from the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch. You are able to lower the car to 1/3 of that distance.
    *OR - from the bottom of the reflective surface in your headlight to the ground - this can be no less then 500mm legally. 100mm is the lowest that any part of the vehicle can be from the ground.

Springs - Cut springs and compressed springs are illegal. As for airbag suspension, there is currently not enough information on it, however, with the appropriate documentation submitted they MAY be approved.

Body Kits - As you would all realise, body kits are pretty harmless so they see nothing wrong with them. Wide body Kits came into the conversation - If you were to think about a wide body kit then you would need to talk to someone at the technical centre to establish if it is legal or not.

Rollcage - After long discussions we found out that full roll cages are NOT permitted, however, 1/2 Rolla cages in 2 door vehicle are ok.

Door Handles - You do not need locks nor handles on the outside of the vehicle but you are required to keep the interior handles on the inside.

Tinting - 35% tint transmittance is the legal limit. Coloured tinting is currently illegal and will not pass the test until companies can prove that the vehicle occupant can distinguish traffic light colours. Reflective tinting can not have a reflectance value of more then 10%.

Stickers/Decals - Anything in the viewing path is illegal. As for your windscreen, anything where the wiper blades do not touch is legal.

INTERIOR:

Seats - Non-reclinable seats in a two-door can be used if the vehicle is registered as a two seater. You are able to change the drivers seat to a non-reclinable but the law requires that you leave the passenger seat as a reclining one. *back seat passengers need to be able to get out in the case of an accident*
    Belts - For your own safety is it a necessity that your mounting points are CORRECT! If they are incorrect then they will do more harm then good.

Steering Wheels - Wheels with airbags need to be compatible with the steering column, otherwise MOST aftermarket steering wheels are fine as long as they are not too small.

Gear Knobs - It is ok to change your gear shift knob providing they are not dangerous. You can also change the length of the shaft providing you are still able to change gears properly.

Iluminated Gauges (Dash) - As long as there is a distinct difference between the background colour and the numbers AND it is not distracting then it is fine.

'A' Pillar Gauge Mounting - Proving that they are not in the 'head impact' area then they are legal. There is a formula to establish the head impact area, you may need to enquir about this with the Dept. of Transport.

Gauges on Dash (aftermarket tachos etc) - As long as visibility is clear then they are approved.

Screens/ Monitors - Nothing is allowed to be visible whilst driving nor stationary by the driver, however, if the vehicle is stationary and turned OFF then it is ok.

Undercar Neons - Legal now.

Headlights - Forward facing lights have to be white. The test is to hold a piece of white paper directly in front of the headlight and as long as the light is a clear white then they are legal. Anything else is considered illegal.

Fog Lights - *if they are standard with the vehicle * Australian Design Rules (ADR) says that you CAN drive with your fog lights on BUT the Road Traffic Code says that you can NOT drive with your fog lights on.

Licence Plate Light - They are required to be white.

Euro Tail lights (Lexus style) - They are legal providing that each colour is identified correctly. The reflectors also need to be in their correct spot.

Exhaust - They need to meet the required noise levels. As for the question of 'what is the noise level?' there is no set limit, basically, if it's too noisy then it's illegal. This one leaves things pretty open due to the fact that no one is going to think their exhaust is 'too noisy', next topic of external waist gates shares the same issue.

External Waist Gates (BOV) - They are not illegal, they just can not be too loud. *Same issue as above*

POD Filters - As long as the filter does not interfere with the air flow meter then there are no issues with them.

Front Mounted Intercoolers - No problem with them.

Braded Brake Hoses - Goodrich were ADR tested and passed the 'whipping' test with a 50mil plastic sleeve on the outside. Braded hoses tend to not pass the whipping test due to being unable to withstand the constant flexibility required during the extensive test, that is why Goodrich came up with the idea to have the 50mil plastic sleeve to help compensate.

Camshafts - If the vehicles computer can handle the aftermarket Cam without being upgraded then it is ok. Aftermarket performance Cams have a pretty distinguished sound to them and if a cop can recognise it then they will give you a yellow sticker.

NOS - In other states it is ok to have the NOS kit in your vehicle providing the lines are disconnected. In WA it is illegal to even have the kit in your car.

Short Shift Kits - Are allowed providing it doesn't interfere with changing gears properly.

Brakes - simple, they need to be left alone! If you are thinking of upgrading them then get in touch with a technical inspector about them first.

Some sheet here too;

http://www.dotars.go...b/vsb_ncop.aspx

http://www.dotars.go..._downloads.aspx
    S R i

#16 indica

indica

Indica, 200sx Bassendean

• Inactive
    • PipPipPip
    • 132 posts
    • Cars:
      200SX s15 Spec R GT

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:26 PM

7. The noise level of the modified system must not exceed the noise level of the manufacturer?s original system by a noticeable amount.

I jsut like how they use terms that leave themselves open to arguement....

I noticed nothing.... beside the fact my car sound much much better and goes so much nicer. :rolleyes:

Name: Indica in cyberspace Sylvain IRL
    Car: 200sx s15 spec r GT (augen)
    Area: mainly NoR, Bassendean

www.augendesign.com

#17 dorifthor

dorifthor

Q's Spec

• Inactive
    • PipPipPip
    • 124 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:33 AM

Does anyone know if you can get permits for aftermarket computers. eg Power fc
    Name - Luke Location - Como Ride - Used to be a white 180sx soon to be jzx100

#18 Woody

Woody

Expired Empra Wu Di

• Hall Of Fame
    • 4,007 posts
    • Name:Michael
    • Cars:
      K11 March Cabriolet
      VE SS Ute

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:08 AM

Not really. The only example I can offer is Gothesr had an S13 with an S15 engine. He ran a wolf 3d and I think may have had a permit for it as he couldn't attain a factory loom or ecu and everything had to be wired from scratch.

Name l Woody
    Location l Baso
    Rides l ANGRY13 Sold to a good home l ANGRY1.3 Sold l GTNAH Sold | Sexy WRX Sold | EFO sick!

I am now a traitor to the Nissan

Ultimate noodles are one,
    TUKEKARA-NOODLE.
    The noodles of a phantom with the resistance to the teeth of boast of our shop.
    The exquisite rainy which repeated trial and error and was completed.
    Colorful red pepper of Asia.
    Domestic careful selection pork with little fat of female liking is used.
    It has healthy vegetables with salad feeling fully.

#19 s12Silvia

s12Silvia

GT Spec

• Inactive
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 531 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:07 PM

The maximum decibal level for your exhaust to be legal is 92db they say it cant be noticeably different however as people have said different people have different opinions but i know for a fact the legal decibal limit is 92 db because mine was something like 112db or something like that :P (think i still have the slip from the pits)

Edited by s12Silvia, 28 April 2006 - 08:28 PM.

Name: Kieran Powell
    Car:
    1976 Toyota Celica (Green) Hilux engine in it.... Sold
    1985 Nissan S12 (Red) Sold
    1984 Nissan S12 (White) Sold
    1989 Nissan R31 Skyline RB30e (Red) Sold
    1984 Nissan S12 SGL Coupe (Blue) Sold
    1987 Nissan Skyline R31 (White) Sold
    1984 Nissan S12 SGL Hatch, s13 coilovers, trx bluebird disc brakes, pod, straight through exhaust, s13 seats, whiteline swaybars, locked diff (THE NEW PROJECT)
    Posted Image
    Silviawa Dyno Day Lowest hp: 82.4 rwhp :P

#20 VERY

VERY

Q's Spec

• Inactive
    • PipPipPip
    • 155 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 08:56 AM

lotsa good info up there ^^^^ - cheers :)
    Name: Adam
    Car: S15 Varietta - Project VERY: http://varietta.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users