•  

• Welcome to

Hello and welcome to SilviaWA, You will require an account to use selected sections of our forums, you can register an account by clicking the register button at the top of the screen.

Photo

S15 Boost Fluctuation

Boost Turbo Fluctuation precision S15

• Please log in to reply
    7 replies to this topic

#1 RinseKing

RinseKing

J's Spec

• Inactive
    • Pip
    • 4 posts
    • Name:Ollie
    • Cars:
      2002 Nissan Silvia S15 Spec R

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:04 PM

Hey guys,

New here so I'll give you a quick run down of the car then I'll outline the issue. Car is an S15 Spec R with quite a few mods done. To name a few, it has a built bottom end (pistons, rods etc), BC 264 cams with upgraded springs/ retainers, a Precision 5858 high mount turbo on a china manifold, Turbosmart 38mm ultra gate and a Eboost street controlling the boost. Other than these it has all the usual supporting mods, 740cc injectors, nistune, Bosch 040, front mount and HPX AFM. 

Now to the problem: I recently got the injectors installed and the car tuned. It had a run in tune on wastegate pressure due to the recent engine rebuild (done prior to me purchasing the car). All was well until I collected the car and the tuner mentioned that he had some trouble making the boost hold steady. I've attached the dyno graph to this post, which shows the low (red line) and high (blue line) boost tunes. The tune on wastegate pressure was fine, albeit some boost creep in higher rpms (likely due to crappy china manifold), but the high boost tune can't seem to hold a consistent boost pressure. The boost comes on fine but once its up there it will fluctuate 1-2 psi.

The tuner suggested it may be due to the wastegate. I contacted Turbosmart enquiring if the fluctuation could be caused by a torn wastegate diaphragm, to which they responded that if it was that I would be experiencing boost spiking. They suggested it looked to be because of the sensitivity setting on the boost controller, to which I found to be 0. So evidently the tuner saw the fluctuation, and turned the sensitivity down (the obvious solution) which didn't correct the issue. 

If anyone has any thoughts on the problem please contribute, I'm completely stumped as to what is causing it. Also I'll be happy to answer any questions regarding the matter.

Cheers, Ollie.

Attached Thumbnails

• DYNO03.jpg

#2 unkn0wn

unkn0wn

Custom Spec

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,302 posts
    • Name:Christian
    • Cars:
      89 S13 180sx. Ongoing VQ30DET transplant
      92 S13 180sx. Sr20det Track Hack
      99 D22 Navara. Daily

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:15 PM

low boost was done on gate pressure only? no interference from EBC? whats springs did you have in it, the 12psi? after 6k rpm the boost starts increasing

- this to me would suggest that your gate not large enough to let out enough gas to slow the turbo down?

- whats the design of the manifold? if the gate pipes not mounted correctly, gate could be missing the exhaust gas all together.

Name : Christian.

89 S13 180sx - forever undergoing vq30det transplant.

92 s13 180sx - Sr20det sheetter, track hack.

99 d22 Navara - Ever reliable dirty diesel daily and 4wd tourerer. .

+ some other random cars not worthy of mention.

#3 RinseKing

RinseKing

J's Spec

• Inactive
    • Pip
    • 4 posts
    • Cars:

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:27 PM

Cheers for the reply,

Current low boost tune is with the duty cycle on the Eboost set to 0, so I assume thats gate pressure? But prior to that the boost controller wasn't connected, just a vacuum line from turbo to gate and the boost curve was similar from memory.

Yeah, I haven't checked but I think the spring inside is 12 psi. I also thought the gate may be too small (tuner also suggested that), but then I see other cars running the same gate with larger turbos running fine so it has me confused.

Manifold was already on car when I bought it, but from the looks of it, it may be the JJR SR20 high mount manifold (attached picture of the one it looks like), honestly looks like a pretty poor design.

Thanks again, Ollie.

Attached Thumbnails

• mani.JPG

#4 kyle_340

kyle_340

foulchild

• Cruise Coordinator
    • 2,109 posts
    • Name:Kylie
    • Cars:
      S13
      S15

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:51 PM

rinse king?

youre on m8

the JUN S15 (broken) - 000hp
    s13 ca18de two tone silver/grey - 2hp

previous
    s14 [ZENKI] (built) - 350hp
    s13 ca18de two tone silver/grey - 2hp (back in my arms)
    s13 two tone unrego - soon to be daily (was simply never to be)

IF YOU DONT THINK TWO TONE S13'S ARE THE TIGHTEST SHEET THEN GET THE FRACK OUT OF MY FACE

#5 VFR15

VFR15

J's Spec

• Inactive
    • Pip
    • 64 posts
    • Name:Julio Menedez
    • Cars:
      esse15

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

Talk to turbosmart about your gate placement and if that could cause the issue.

http://www.turbosmar...tegate-fitting/

#6 unkn0wn

unkn0wn

Custom Spec

• Members
    • 1,302 posts
    • Name:Christian
    • Cars:
      89 S13 180sx. Ongoing VQ30DET transplant
      92 S13 180sx. Sr20det Track Hack
      99 D22 Navara. Daily

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:45 AM

Cheers for the reply,

Current low boost tune is with the duty cycle on the Eboost set to 0, so I assume thats gate pressure? But prior to that the boost controller wasn't connected, just a vacuum line from turbo to gate and the boost curve was similar from memory.

Yeah, I haven't checked but I think the spring inside is 12 psi. I also thought the gate may be too small (tuner also suggested that), but then I see other cars running the same gate with larger turbos running fine so it has me confused.

Manifold was already on car when I bought it, but from the looks of it, it may be the JJR SR20 high mount manifold (attached picture of the one it looks like), honestly looks like a pretty poor design.

Thanks again, Ollie.

That manifold has the gate right in the merge point, so in theory it would be sufficient. 

when the gate pipe reverse flow of exhaust is when it would be a problem.

sounds like your have a pretty decent build and some quality part's tho, why did you settle for china exhaust mani?

there is some fairly decent NZ made ones going around pretty cheap.

personally id take the springs out of the gate and just inspect the diaphragm, then put the gate back on with a spring around 7psi (or whatever you have).

take it for a run and see if it still overboosts in the higher rev range.

if it does your exh manis either a super bad design and somehow the flow get interference on the gate line (unlikley if its on the merger) or the gates bad/to small.

thats how id see it anyway.

Turbo-smart, or somewhere decent like GCG should be able to tell you the waste-gate vs turbo size you need...maybe hit them up.

Name : Christian.

89 S13 180sx - forever undergoing vq30det transplant.

92 s13 180sx - Sr20det sheetter, track hack.

99 d22 Navara - Ever reliable dirty diesel daily and 4wd tourerer. .

+ some other random cars not worthy of mention.

#7 RinseKing

RinseKing

J's Spec

• Inactive
    • Pip
    • 4 posts
    • Cars:

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:25 PM

That makes sense, well I bought the car recently with the mods done to it, my best guess is the previous owner blew the budget on the engine build and had to settle for the crappy manifold haha. Haven't heard much from the NZ made ones, what ones are decent?

I'm going to give GCG a call on monday, in the meantime I might pull the gate apart and change up the spring to see whats going on. Supposedly these 38mm gates are okay on this size turbo (will call GCG to get their thoughts) so I'm inclined to think the gates gone bad.

I'll let you know what I find, cheers again for the help.

#8 RinseKing

RinseKing

J's Spec

• Inactive
    • Pip
    • 4 posts
    • Cars:

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

Update:
    Well I found the problem, it became pretty obvious when I kept getting a sound which sounded like an exhaust leak which got louder. It eventually led to the gate flange snapping off the manifold and a vacuum line holding on the gate and screamer as I drove along haha. On taking off the manifold I've seen someone has had a stab at repairing it with a mig and done a crap job to say the least. Well at least I know what was causing the boost issue, now the hunt for a 6boost mani begins! Cheers for your helps guys! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users