How to remove a steering wheel

Got a feeling I'm gonna need to link this in about 3 minutes, so figured I'd write it up in here.

Based on a stock steering wheel. Aftermarket wheels might take a little of your own thought.

Remove the horn pad so you can see the 17/19mm nut holding the wheel on. AIRBAG wheels do at your own risk.

Crack the nut. You may need to incorporate the steering lock to stop the wheel turning.

Don't remove the nut.... merely bring it flush with the end of the thread. This is the difference between having teeth and not having teeth.

Move your chair right back and lay the back down (where possible)

Place your feet right into the firewall, put your hands at 9 and 3.

Lift yourself off the ground with your arms, keep that pressure pulling on the wheel.

Shuffle between your left and right arm, this should be enough to dislodge the wheel.

Once the wheel has 'popped' off the splines, undo the nut, remove the wheel.

I'm a small frame and haven't had too many wheels I haven't been able to remove using this method.

DONT hit the *rabbit* with a hammer. Great way to f##k everything.

Would this method still be the same for Airbag cars?

And/or what do we have to look out for when doing this with one without it blowing up in out face?

also make sure the wheels on the car are straight to avoid ending up with a on the piss steering wheel when you put one it back on.

ToneDeff... I wouldn't screw with a airbag steering wheel unless you know exactly what you are doing. They can be pretty dangerous. If you really have to make sure everything is diconnected first

Would this method still be the same for Airbag cars?

And/or what do we have to look out for when doing this with one without it blowing up in out face?

Thats the problem the nut is contained behind the airbag.

One thing to note your airbag light will stay on, its illegal to put a non airbag wheel in a car with an airbag fitted (pits WILL pick this up)

And your reducing your safety.

But Pretty much if you rip off the cover theres a good chance its going to blow up in your face ;)

Hence the do at your own risk.

I suggest NOT doing this unless youve crashed and it popped out.. then its easy ;)

• 2 months later...

I find the best way to remove the steering wheel is like as everyone has said loosen nut to end of the thread but when your pulling the wheel off get your knees right underneath it and pull from left to right until it comes off. Pfffttt.... steering wheel puller. Take some concrete pills, toughen up and use your muscles to pull it off. Pulled off plenty of wheels with no dramas whatsoever. And yes disconnect the battery before removing an airbag wheel