Please try search

Also asking this question is like asking how long is a peice of string.

Everyone will tell you to go SR, search for threads on how much an SR Conversion will be.

CAs in good condition are hard to find and will no doubt do the same thing down the track.

if you go another engine (ie RB) you have to consider engineering.

Changing to an SR would probably be your best option

^Agreed with above.

So lets start at the start. HOW is it broken? It may just be something that is f##k all and cost $200 to fix.

well, i was just cruising, not under load or anything,

and it started making a huge, loud knocking sound,

sounds like something is really f##ked to be honest.

i can't find where its coming from, so i'd have no idea.

the car turns on and starts, but as soon as it does, it makes the noise.

any ideas? D:

get a halfcut/engine package whatever floats ya boat. and smash it in. nice and simple same crossmembers etc i think different engine mounts though. also the side of engineering is a bit funny these days. im being forced to engineer my sr ( yes wtf im aware) but it is alot easier to put in and register than an rb etc. sr is easy. assemble new motor COMPLETE. and put it in. i can put it in if you lack mechanical knowledge or if you have some i can sit there drinking pepsi while i tell you what goes where:P

i just saw youre in thornlie. my numbers 0429888803 message or call me when youre home. i live 5 minutes maximum away

get a halfcut/engine package whatever floats ya boat. and smash it in. nice and simple same crossmembers etc i think different engine mounts though. also the side of engineering is a bit funny these days. im being forced to engineer my sr ( yes wtf im aware) but it is alot easier to put in and register than an rb etc. sr is easy. assemble new motor COMPLETE. and put it in. i can put it in if you lack mechanical knowledge or if you have some i can sit there drinking pepsi while i tell you what goes where:P

i just saw youre in thornlie. my numbers 0429888803 message or call me when youre home. i live 5 minutes maximum away

you wanna hear what it sounds like?

bahahaha

what do you mean engineering?

do i need to get it checked and sheet so the engine number is changed and stuff? D:

Yeah WTF indeed on the engineering an sr, usually you just fill in a form with your car details (VIN, engine no. etc) then the replacement engine and number then the VIN of what car it came from form memory.

The engineering issue means you need a licensed and qualified engineer to assess the conversion before it can be registered, usually you only do this if you're increasing engine capacity or power by various amounts, the capacity/power variance dictates what class of conversion it is and you'll need an engineers report to confirm that structural integrity, brakes, emissions etc are ADR compliant. If you need it for a CA to SR conversion it'll be a lower class as the capacity and power difference isn't that great. Great opportunity to get noise test done so you can't get stickered for your exhaust ;)

I was in the same boat as you.. ca died and in went the sr.

I found that kyp and jpc were the best value and very similarly priced. i got a quote from kyp for a blacktop sr from a 180sx, manual, fitted for $5K, also got a quote from japanese performance centre for a blacktop s14, t28, manual, fitted for the same price.

I went kyp cos it was closer but in hindsight I should have gone jpc for the extra grunt

hey mate i also live only 5 min away and would be happy to throw

a few spanners around...

so i can get a little expirience for when my CA dies...