my ca is on the verge of dying

i suspect it to be a bearing the in the big end,

if i got my engine reconditioned, this would be fixed right?

as well as replacing gaskets and piston rings and all?

can someone tell me what a recondition is,

and where i can get it done,

and how much it will cost?

i'm really dying without my car.

was going to do sr converstion

but i was curious about how much getting mine reconditioned would be.

thanks in advance

sr conversion will work out cheaper than a rebuild depending on how far the rebuild goes and the condition of ur ca.

do an sr conversion..

i'm looking at 2.6k before labour for sr conversion

it would be more rewarding with an sr anyway right?

ok well, think of it this way

you can spend 2-3k on a motor swap, to which you know nothing about the motor your putting in, no history, no knowledge if its been in a crash or over heated be4.

or you can sped 2-3 on a rebuild and ahve a motor that's as new and going to run for another couple of hundred thousand kms

ok its a CA, who cares, they can make good power and rev nicely

but again, parts are going to be harder to find and be a bit more expensive

If you were going to spend the money on rebuild labour it'd make sense to rebuild it with forgies etc, it's more cost effective to bang another stock motor in, SR or CA whatever floats your boat.

Yes a 2nd hand motor has its risks but so does a rebuild, my 2 cents anyway

Edited by Obrut

thanks, both are very good points,

i think replacing the gearbox, clutch, and engine to all with aprox 50ks

and having an sr, with easier and cheaper to get hp out of and easier to get parts

it makes more sense taking a chance with the sr

its coming from a company not off some guy

and its getting properly tested and all..

plus sr's look alot nicer in the engine bay :)

a very valid point has been stated already, just coz an engine has been rebuilt, doesnt mean its more reliable, plenty of "recon'd" engines out their failing over silly things that most of time, people have no control over

pick out a low km motor, bit of a lucky dip these days though, and enjoy

It's going to be a hard and expensive decision to make either way, there are pros and cons of doing both but there are still risks envolved too.

If you go for an SR, you're going to have to change a fair bit of stuff over and there is always that gamble of getting a motor with bad compression or something that you don't know works well until you've already spent the money getting it installed. Ideally getting a rebuilt SR20 would be the way to go but it really depends on how fat your wallet is.

A rebuilt CA will get you back on your feet however rebuild costs can spiral out of control depending on what you actually want to get out of the rebuild. Fresh rings, bearings, a quick hone and a new gasket will get you out of trouble but doesn't guarantee you can wind the boost and make huge horsepower. You're really going to have to build the bottom end strong if you're going to make any sort of good (reliable) power.

I got a quote from 'The Engine Exchange' in Bayswater:

NB: - No Exchange Engine available – will have to do your own – please refer to Do Own notes below.

Engine price: $3815.00

Labour cost of fitting the engine to the vehicle: $1390.00

Plus approx. $160 to replace Oil Filter and Fluids

Warranty period

This petrol engine carries a warranty of 4 years or 80,000km

*Conditions apply.

Prices include GST and quotation is valid for 30 days.

from the website their rebuild process seems to be quite comprehensive and thorough and the warrenty is pretty damn good but probably be void after mods.

the quote was the same price as an sr conversion. I went a second hand blacktop sr and to be honest I probably should have gone the rebuild for longevity and the sr isn't really that much faster than my old ca

but with the quote above,

what is that getting me in a rebuild?

will everything be all stock?

because thats like 5k all up,

thats a sheetload man

an sr conversion i can do for around 3k including install and all

unless that for forged ca internals?

but with the quote above,

what is that getting me in a rebuild?

will everything be all stock?

because thats like 5k all up,

thats a sheetload man

an sr conversion i can do for around 3k including install and all

unless that for forged ca internals?

Its stock parts. I guess your paying for piece of mind with the 4yr warranty. thats more than they came out with new.

Their process can be found here

http://www.engineexchange.com.au/process/

where did you get a quote for 3k for an sr conversion?

I got a quote from 'The Engine Exchange' in Bayswater:

NB: - No Exchange Engine available – will have to do your own – please refer to Do Own notes below.

Engine price: $3815.00

Labour cost of fitting the engine to the vehicle: $1390.00

Plus approx. $160 to replace Oil Filter and Fluids

Warranty period

This petrol engine carries a warranty of 4 years or 80,000km

*Conditions apply.

Prices include GST and quotation is valid for 30 days.

from the website their rebuild process seems to be quite comprehensive and thorough and the warrenty is pretty damn good but probably be void after mods.

the quote was the same price as an sr conversion. I went a second hand blacktop sr and to be honest I probably should have gone the rebuild for longevity and the sr isn't really that much faster than my old ca

HAHAHA you gotta be a dick head (or looking to sell the car as soon as it gets oil pressure) to buy an engine through a company like that.

They take old engines, check parts for "in spec", throw out whats not in spec and shelve what is.

Then they rebuild their "new" engine using those "in spec" parts and some new bearings and gaskets. So basically you're getting an engine with new bearings and a new headgasket for what is a stupid price. Rebuild from a decent shop should cost you around 3-3.5k drive in drive out (assuming you do the basics only)

Also, $1400 to R&R an engine is crack price.

HAHAHA you gotta be a dick head (or looking to sell the car as soon as it gets oil pressure) to buy an engine through a company like that.

They take old engines, check parts for "in spec", throw out whats not in spec and shelve what is.

Then they rebuild their "new" engine using those "in spec" parts and some new bearings and gaskets. So basically you're getting an engine with new bearings and a new headgasket for what is a stupid price. Rebuild from a decent shop should cost you around 3-3.5k drive in drive out (assuming you do the basics only)

Also, $1400 to R&R an engine is crack price.

who quoted 3-3.5k drive in drive out? Hyperdrive, top racing and C-red were not able to quote me a stock spec ca rebuild for less than 4k (what I had at the time) ca had a spun bearing.