Startup Issue

did a quick search for start up related issues but didnt find anything relevant.

recently been having startup problems. only happens on very hot days and usually after the car has been running for a while beforehand. the car just does not seem to want to start up again, no spluttering or signs of firing.

I have noticed that after the ignition is turned on (but not started) the sound of the fuel pump priming is not audible. if I keep turning the ignition on and off (5-10mins of stuffing around) until I do hear the fuel pump sound, it starts. just wondering if anyone else experienced something similar, could the fuel pump be on its way out? or a solenoid? immobilizer?

car is an s13 silvia blacktop sr20det, bosche 040 fuel pump installed a few years ago.

thanks in advance

Edited by the_galvatr0ns

Get your terminology right.

"no spluttering or signs of cranking over."

Cranking over - turning over - starter motor working.

Not firing - Engine turns over (cranks) but will not run by itself (fire, run)

So if it's NOT CRANKING OVER, then the fuel pump has NOTHING to do with it.

However a fuel pump issue would lead to a lack of fuel. No fuel, nothing to burn, nothing burning - no fire.

So is it not cranking or not firing?

This is a COMMON issue with internet help threads, so I write that as a guide to ANYONE who has issues like these.

Get your terminology right.

"no spluttering or signs of cranking over."

Cranking over - turning over - starter motor working.

Not firing - Engine turns over (cranks) but will not run by itself (fire, run)

So if it's NOT CRANKING OVER, then the fuel pump has NOTHING to do with it.

However a fuel pump issue would lead to a lack of fuel. No fuel, nothing to burn, nothing burning - no fire.

So is it not cranking or not firing?

This is a COMMON issue with internet help threads, so I write that as a guide to ANYONE who has issues like these.

lol rage.

i actually did think that phrase was ambiguous but then I thought the second paragraph would clear everything up. which it didnt obviously

anyway, its not firing but the starter motor cranks over, my initial thoughts are from no fuel

Edited by the_galvatr0ns

Yeah, its something I deal with fairly often, not to take it out on you, just a general thing.

Get started on your checks.

Pull a plug and a coil, earth the plug and turn it over.

Pull the feed line off the intake for the fuel (its the one from the filter on the drivers side shock tower). Hit the ign and see if she spits fuel out. Turn her over and make sure she keeps pumping. Keep a bucket handy, there will be a fair bit of fuel.

If one of them doesn't work, you know where to start looking. Immobiliser is a definite possibility, so is a dying pump and any number of electrical issues and circuits.

If you got both fuel and spark, get your hands on a 'noid' light and check injector pulse.

i actually did think that phrase was ambiguous but then I thought the second paragraph would clear everything up. which it didnt obviously

When you deal with this kind of stuff a lot, which I do, you tend to start looking for key words while trying to ignore the story behind it. Too often you get a post like

"The sky was blue and it was humid. I walked to my car and spotted a brown dog, it's fur wavey like the sea. It reminded me of a time before I hit puberty, looking through the door at my sisters friends during one of their sleepovers, their young breasts pert like soldier preparing for war. As I unlocked the door to my car with a click of the solenoid, I noticed some oil underneath. Fearing I had been struck by the neighbourhood vandal, I quickly popped the bonnet, expecting the worst. I saw a black trickle running from my turbo banjo bolt, flowing like a river. What was I to do?"

From that I get

-Oil leak

-Banjo Bolt

-How to fix

Again, this is nothing on you. Just hoping others will read it and see what we (the helpers) deal with and don't need/want. The more you help us, the more we help you.

Plus I felt like getting a little novelistic.

Wow. I didn't actually think 'novelistic' was a word, but then the little red "mispell" line didn't come up. So I googled it. Turns out, I used it correctly

'novelistic [ˌnɒvəˈlɪstɪk]

adj

(Literary & Literary Critical Terms) of or characteristic of novels, esp in style or method of treatment. "his novelistic account annoyed other historians"'

Everything Crumz Said

POTY.

I'd say the easiest check would be fuel line, if it only happens sometimes, then by the time you've pulled a coil and a plug and got ready to check whatever is causing it could have reset itself.

Yeah, its something I deal with fairly often, not to take it out on you, just a general thing.

Get started on your checks.

Pull a plug and a coil, earth the plug and turn it over.

Pull the feed line off the intake for the fuel (its the one from the filter on the drivers side shock tower). Hit the ign and see if she spits fuel out. Turn her over and make sure she keeps pumping. Keep a bucket handy, there will be a fair bit of fuel.

If one of them doesn't work, you know where to start looking. Immobiliser is a definite possibility, so is a dying pump and any number of electrical issues and circuits.

If you got both fuel and spark, get your hands on a 'noid' light and check injector pulse.

ill give it a go, cheers

was also going to check the pump with a multimeter, just have a sneaking suspicion it could be a sticky solenoid due to the heat, hence the fuel pump not priming