The S15 Is About To Evolve.

Maybe I should, but I don't really have any photos.

I was always planning on writing up the cams install, but it's just too easy to get side tracked... :)

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your best aftermarket gearbox is a S13 box dude   Also is your HKS mani tuned length or is it similar design to standard?   JK

No need for cams...2871 will make 300 on stock cams, although cams are fun and I do recommend cams.

any new pics of this car? curious to see it

Okay well I corrected some of the links on this page.

Going back over previous pages there are links to images I no longer have...

Anyway, you have my stock Dyno chart and then comparsions between a stock manifold vs HKS manifold, both when I have a HKS exhaust system.

I never did scan in my current chart that shows even more improvements after the CES front/dump pipe was installed and I got it retuned again.

I should try and scan it in some time as it plots the power and torque curves for my car as it is now and on the same graph is the power and torque for my car when it was stock.

• 8 years later...
  • 1 year later...

fark so much excitement over 300hp :lol:

oh how times have changed

Yeah, times sure have changed.

These forums are so quiet now!

It's been roughly 10 years since I was competing at MC and going on the occassional cruise with SilviaWA.

I still have my S15 though, and I've just sorted out a replacement differential to change my drive ratios since I run a HPI 6 speed box these days (stay away from PAR Engineering everyone!).

The HPI has much longer 1st and 2nd gears over the factory gearbox, which is fine for track but I find 2nd to be annoying on the road.

I'm always bogged down after going around a corner, so the new diff will fix that.

Apart from that, the other changes from what I describe in all my posts above are:

• Light flywheel.
  • OS Giken STR twin plate clutch.
  • R33 GTR Brembo brakes all round with DBA 4000 rotors.
  • Transmission cooler with electric pump to protect the HPI gearbox. Gives approximately an extra 1.5L of oil capacity too.
  • I replaced the HKS twin dump pipe and front pipe with a single CES Racing dump with the separate wastegate line that merges into the exhaust under the car.

(I think I wrote about that elswhere in these forums?)

• Trust Winged oil pan.
  • Battery relocated to the boot.

So what's changed these days that makes my 300hp go from "Wow!" to "Meh" :)

Some trends I could see that weren't really done 10 years ago are:

• Aftermarket Twin Scroll turbos.
  • SR20VE or SR20VET head swaps.
  • E85 fuel.

Anything I missed?

Maybe there is more cash around and/or things got cheaper and more people are building motors with forged internals?

What sort of figures are people getting on pump fuel on SR20's that still have stock internals and only mild cams?

Still the kind of figures I'm pushing?

Or are people getting much more (reliably) while still using stock pistons; head gaskets; and head bolts?

I was buying expensive Japanese name brand stuff back then.

The HKS GT-RS turbo at the time was under $3k new and the HKS manifold was $1600 alone...

I think the price was around $3.5k just for those two parts alone.

Z32 AFM was ~ $400

Cams were ~ $700

Exhaust was ~ $2k (dump, front, and cat-back)

Nismo fuel pump was ~ $400

Nismo 740cc injectors were $240 each

Aidan, I'm not sure; I can't remember what sort of figures stock cams will net you, or if you'll need to put in stage-1 type cams to reach 300.

And have you upgraded the intercooler and fuel pump?

You'll probably be looking for a new clutch too if you're still running the standard one.

Edited by Jim

already have fuel pump and HD clutch.

the FMIC I have is an apexi no-holes one but its pretty aged and a bit smaller than ure standard s13 front mount.....

man the cost of the injectors and fuel pump back in the day are so high!!!

already have fuel pump and HD clutch.

the FMIC I have is an apexi no-holes one but its pretty aged and a bit smaller than ure standard s13 front mount.....

man the cost of the injectors and fuel pump back in the day are so high!!!

Nismo fuel pumps were always expensive. I know, I bought one haha. Now I run a walbro E85 that cost like 1/2 the price and pumps far more fuel.

• 3 weeks later...