Tech Help & The Entire Forum

So over the last couple of months I've seen a massive rise in the number of people who are immediately aggressive/unhelpful/vague towards people in the Tech Help threads and in their own build threads, as well as the number of people jumping on board things like 'Frack Rotas' because they thought it'd make them cool on the internet/once had a friend of a friend's cousin's mate break one/actually damaged one in real life.

When I joined back in the day Tech help, and to a larger extent the entirety of SilviaWA, was relatively flame free. Yes if somebody did something that was dangerous or was dumb to an extreme, they'd get called on it. But it was never a case of ripping into them, but sitting down and explaining why they were going to loose their leg from using a circular saw blade as a flywheel. I want it to go back to that, since the only way I got to where I am was asking a *lot* of simple questions, and without the older guys helping me out I would have learnt nothing. Hell, I once sent Crumz a message asking if I'd be alright to drive with no power steering fluid since I'd lost my wallet. Yeah. I was that guy.

As such, from now on if I see anyone being unnecessarily agro or unhelpful towards someone, or too much of an arrogant chunt, or hating on someone because they have a different opinion to you, I'll give them a smack. And by smack, I mean a 3+ day ban and a talking to. If you're someone that should know better, you'll get an even longer one.

Here are a few examples for the members who are slightly thicker than the rest of us, on how to be nice;

Oh hi guys, just bought a car, but every time I turn my headlights on my dash lights don't come on. What gives? I've checked my fuel pump and I still have spark so?

Wrong; 'OMG WTF DUMBBBO, if you can't do something simple like make your dash lights work sell your car and get a Corolla, I hate you and your children'

Right; 'Have you checked the dimmer switch for your dash man? Should be a little knob underneath your cluster, spin it and it'll make them brighter. Otherwise you might have to change the globes, have a search through the Tech Help section since I think it's been covered before'

So now that I've fixed my dimmer lights and am pretty comfortable with the performance of the car, I'ma get some rims and roll around looking way better than I do with my mum's Camry mags on. I'm thinking Rotas, since they're not the most amazing or unique rim but I can get them brand new for fairly cheap, so I know they'll be in good condition and not rashed up or anything. Going to get some in a couple of weeks.

Wrong; 'NO ROTAS ARE GHEY! I once saw a picture online of a rim broken that someone said was a Rota! So the only conclusion I could draw from this was that if you hit a small piece of gravel they'll SHATTER AND KILL CHILDREN! If you do it you're dead to me, Rotas are sheet and so are you and if you can't afford wheels then sell your car and get a Corolla. I hate you and your children.'

Right; 'Cool man, good to see you're spending a bit of money on your car =] I'm not a fan of Rotas but yeah they are pretty cheap so if it's all you can afford now go for it, then down the track save up and get some mad Jap rims.'

Right V2; *Say f##king nothing*

See the pattern? If I see one more person telling someone to sell their car and get X because they're too dumb/don't deserve a Sil/whatever, the wrath of Cthulhu will be brought to bear upon you. He's a pretty crazy guy. He knows how to party. He's got tentacles, if you get where I'm going with this.

Obscene amounts of Japanese Tentacle rape, that's where I was going with it.

<request for permaban>

Can I point out that from a relative noobstacle point of view the way this forum has changed saddens me. I've lurked here for years, mainly because my silvia project got abandoned for a good year or so. When I joined, silwa was pretty swish and people helped me with some pretty silly DE+T questions I had. Now that my silvia's back on the road I figured I'd post here more often becuase I'd have more relevant things to contribute.

Since I've been back I've been:

- Banned for 3 days for posting a picture in the picture thread.

- Insulted, and accused of post whoring (and then disproved immediately within the same sentence. WTF?!)

- Told to update my sig as a matter of priority

- Immediately informed that nobody cares about what's in my sig and that my car is gay

- Warned for answering a lol question about how many rabbits you could post from America with $224.08

On the whole of it, I'm a relatively nice guy; I'm pretty savvy with things in general, I'm a mech engineer and I like helping people 'n' shiz, I lend people stuff for the pits, help people fix their cars, and provide occasional sneaky lulz.

I like the idea behind this thread. Y'all need to calm down a little I think.

Would appreciate it if nobody would edit some vagina-spec comments into this post. Cool?

</request for permaban>

however im starting to think that was u tmas when i left my sil account logged in at urs ? <_<

Look, just because I take bits off your car when you store it at my house, doesn't mean that I'm automatically fiddling with everything else :unsure:

That said, come and pick up your sunglasses before I start wearing them!

Many words.

for permaban>

I think another issue that we're finding is that a few guys who've been around for a while have decided to be mods, without actually being mods, i.e. start raging at people for doing stuff etc. People who aren't mods need to leave the discipline to those of us with fancy coloured names and extra buttons. Doing it won't get you a ban *yet* but you will get told off and if you keep doing it then a 3 day + smack will come.

The problem with the Internet is everyone is hot / tough / clever etc etc when they are sat at their computers.

But in real life they wouldn't say boo to a goose!!!!

Must admit I have left forums in the past from excess flamage!

Totally agree.

The problem with the internet is that when reading, your interpretation of what others type is impaired by your mood (and also time of day too).

Have noticed a lot of posts between 12-5am (and done myself) and this is probably not the best time to post.

http://obbop.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/one-happy-ball.jpg

Cheers for finally acknowledging this issue El President, its was a bit sad to see SWA in such a state after my hiatus from the club all i had was good memories and im glad to see its making its way back to that.

Tmas, strong post bro.

Defiantly agree with the idea but still have to acknowledge that there has been a steady increase of new members and there miss use of the forums. I know the mods are doing everything within reason to sort them out ie. joining messages, friendly pm's, cleaning up threads etc, myself and im sure everyone else on the forum appreciates this. Just seems like there are alot of people joining the forum and buying silvias for all the wrong reasons, just because it has somehow become fashionable along with drifting.

So this is what you were smashing your thumbs on your phone for at my place? and silently fuming.

So silwa = noob friendly? sweet. haha. :yeah:

Just had a read through all the replies, and I can see I've upset a couple of people

tmas_the: never meant to cause any bad feelings,.but a couple of things.. you got attacked pretty hard in the pic thread by someone who wasn't a mod, that person has been asked to calm down a bit and to stop behaving that way.

(I've just noticed you have 2 accounts, what gives?)

I gave you a warning because you were perpetuating an attack on someone in the for sale thread, and I decided to give you all warnings, but no bans.. I figured that was the best way to let you know, at the end of the day the person who started that thread was trying to sell an item, and didn't need people hijacking his thread. I initially wasn't going to say anything, but when I saw your join date I figured you ought to know better.

For those of you who are upset that I changed small parts of your posts.. I'm sorry if I upset you, I was merely trying to joke around in a light hearted way, I won't be doing that any more. For those of you who wrote an atrocious post or for sale thread and then noticed that its been magically re-worded and made more understandable, it was me just trying to help out.

I'm generally very noob friendly as I'm sure a few people on this forum can attest to and I generally try to go out of my way to help out in the hopes that other might follow my lead. As has been said a few times now, we were all noobs once and we all deserve a fair chance to learn and share the knowledge that this forum has to offer. I do think people need to search a little harder before posting up a few questions, but on the other hand we should still help them out because they may not be as tech savvy as the other person and might genuinely struggle with navigating around this site.

With regards to the signatures, everyone who joins this forum (not sure what date we started this) receives a PM detailing the rules and in that it mentions the need for signatures. You can imagine how frustrating it is to have to constantly remind people to update this.

To sum up, I think if everyone was a little more conscientious around the forum, noobs included, this place would have a lot less hurt feelings.

This involves just paying a little more attention where you post threads, the attitude you adopt when replying to people and how you treat other forum members (noobs included)

Also, if you are inclined to do a little casual keyboard warmongering every now and then, do what I do, type out your angry post.. sit and re-read it.. Then delete it before posting.

I think that if we can lose the arrogance that is surrounding much of silviawa, this forum can go back to where it was.

On an interesting note, this isn't the only forum suffering from this problem, PSB has recently had a lot of similar threads pop up.

Good thread mods, its moves like this that will save clubs. I can think of a few other Perth car clubs I would like to see follow in a similar fashion. Ive oft mention to fellow SilviaWA'ers that the only club Ive really enjoyed in Perth, especially online, was SilviaWA. Didnt get a very warm welcome at a few others and have since kept my distance. Im a first impressions kinda guy.

I am pretty nice to everyone in the tech help section I think, I really enjoy helping people (Hell, I do it for a living), I can be an all star noob sometimes so I feel a degree of hypocracy if I mean regardless of the desire. I can be pretty knowledgeable, but I dont take that for granted cause it didnt save me from getting picked on in high school... Large knives did.

Jokes.

Maybe not.

Actually bad representation of myself, definately jokes, I am the nice, stab-desire free nistune guy.

I too noticed a rise in e-bashing's espesh in the tech section, its pretty ugly. If I am ever party to this mods please beat of me with ban sticks, bent LCA's, broken rota spokes & the like...

One time I was naughty in a for sale thread and crumz-disipline was feirce & painful but just. An apology later and we were smashing stein's together, and Ive practicsed more common sense since then so I guess the ball rolls both ways here.

My 2c, but kudos for a good move.

Just had a read through all the replies, and I can see I've upset a couple of people

tmas_the: never meant to cause any bad feelings,.but a couple of things.. you got attacked pretty hard in the pic thread by someone who wasn't a mod, that person has been asked to calm down a bit and to stop behaving that way.

(I've just noticed you have 2 accounts, what gives?)

I gave you a warning because you were perpetuating an attack on someone in the for sale thread, and I decided to give you all warnings, but no bans.. I figured that was the best way to let you know, at the end of the day the person who started that thread was trying to sell an item, and didn't need people hijacking his thread. I initially wasn't going to say anything, but when I saw your join date I figured you ought to know better.

Yeah sorry about the two account thing, that's actually just because I suck at remembering passwords and probably couldn't remember what I signed up with. Then, since I make my comp save all my passwords whenever I use my phone or something, I cross to the other account, since my phone remembers the details for the other one.

Yep.... :rolleyes:

Also NB I'm not really upset by getting warned, if I were I'd have PM'ed you d00d. I see what you were doing, and sure cleaning the thread was appropriate, that's fine, I just saw an opportunity to maybe calm a few people down with a sneaky comment out of nowhere about rabbits.

Great move by SWA.

As Josh mentioned, if you really need to vent then type out the post but think about it before you actually "Add Reply". I know I have done this myself, sometimes small words especially over the internet can come across very harshly and its not worth the time/effort. As mum says "if you got nothing nice to say then don't say it all".

Those who have been on the forum longer should know better. That said, I am sure there have been times I have cross the line and I do apologise for my past transgressions. I just post in Diablo thread these days >.< haha

As a forum sponsor, we want new people to join and stay too! We want more people in the SWA community. Those young-guns and not so young-guns who have all that new found passion for cars is what sometimes inspires others to start again and continue building their cars. It also is a good way for those who have built up some knowledge to teach others, thereby continuing the circle of pain of owning a silvia haha.

Edited by volt_bite
  • 2 months later...
<request for permaban>

Can I point out that from a relative noobstacle point of view the way this forum has changed saddens me. I've lurked here for years, mainly because my silvia project got abandoned for a good year or so. When I joined, silwa was pretty swish and people helped me with some pretty silly DE+T questions I had. Now that my silvia's back on the road I figured I'd post here more often becuase I'd have more relevant things to contribute.

Since I've been back I've been:

- Banned for 3 days for posting a picture in the picture thread.

- Insulted, and accused of post whoring (and then disproved immediately within the same sentence. WTF?!)

- Told to update my sig as a matter of priority

- Immediately informed that nobody cares about what's in my sig and that my car is gay

- Warned for answering a lol question about how many rabbits you could post from America with $224.08

On the whole of it, I'm a relatively nice guy; I'm pretty savvy with things in general, I'm a mech engineer and I like helping people 'n' shiz, I lend people stuff for the pits, help people fix their cars, and provide occasional sneaky lulz.

I like the idea behind this thread. Y'all need to calm down a little I think.

Would appreciate it if nobody would edit some vagina-spec comments into this post. Cool?

</request for permaban>

SH*T im extremely sorry about my previous reply as i added it before writing anything, and no i am not trying to post whore i just made an honest mistake and i am very sorry.

with the quote from the previous post i completely agree with you mate i have had very similar situations occur to me and i agree that sometimes people just need to calm down abit. I understand that you need to have measures in place to keep the forum at the high standard that it is currently. And i highly respect this forum and all its members this is by far the best forum ive ever come across. And i would in no way want to degrade it in anyway but i think that a chill pill is in order sometimes. As i have been banned for asking honest question that hold genuine interest to me and also showing encouragement to member that deserve it for there hard work in making the awesome threads that silviaWA is known for. But overall an AWESOME forum good work but please relax a small amount on some issues :)

cheers

luke

And i would in no way want to degrade it in anyway but i think that a chill pill is in order sometimes. As i have been banned for asking honest question that hold genuine interest to me

You have 22 posts and you've been here less than a month. Telling mods how to do there job at this stage is just going to end badly for you.

You were banned for shop whoring. A bloke put a wanted add up for a respray and your reply was "oh cool resprays are cool" (not an exact quote). This is not related to his add and anything that isn't related is whoring and you get banned. Pretty simple.

Live with it, move on from it. Don't go digging up old threads to have a bitch. The people that have been here a long time and run this sheet, and have seen people like you come and go don't wanna have to deal with some one who just rocks up and starts posting without any thought or any idea of how things run.

20% warn with just 22 posts. Going by that rate, that's 100% warn by the 100 post mark. You're one of the few who can't work out a signature rule, hasn't read through the forum before posting and ignored the welcoming PM you get. It's a pretty basic thing that stops you from being targeted, lets you know what is and isn't the go and then stops you making posts like that one koz you feel a bit hard done by because you can't follow some fairly simple rules.

If you want to continue, you're more then welcome to take it to PM.