Andrew's Sil80

So ill start off by saying...im a holden driver, never had anything else ive owned 3 Commodores and 1 Classic Holden....and even a Gemini.

So this is going to be a HUGE learning curve for me as this is only my second OHC car and my first NON holden.

have always been curious about "ricers" so after a lot of thinking i finally decided to get one.

This is the 180sx i just purchased which i'm picking up on sunday afternoon if the guys driveway is dry.

(unfortunately don't have many pics atm as he took the add off gumtree and i didn't take any)

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/Hoskaa/IMG_0366_zps79c4f0e2.jpg

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/Hoskaa/IMG_0368_zps077de175.jpg

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/Hoskaa/IMG_0367_zpse404eb63.jpg

Current Mods.

Exterior:

- Pearl white paint job

- Vertex rear bumper

- S13 Front end conversion

- Dark blue pearl roof ?

Interior:

- OMP deep dish steering wheel

- MoMo Gearknob

- Standard Fronts, Standard Back

Engine:

- SR20DET

- HKS 2530 Turbo

- Split fire coil packs

- Aluminium Radiator

- Aftermarket intake manifold (not sure what type yet)

- S/S Exhaust manifold

- Trust 3 Inch exhaust system

- FMIC (unsure of brand)

Transmission:

- S14 5 Speed

- Short Shifter

- 6 Puck Clutch

Suspension:

- Adjustable Coil overs (Unsure of Brand)

- Front and Rear Strut brace

- Power Brace

- S13 Gap Brace

Plans for this are just a tidy up and daily use, though knowing me it usually gets out of hand and i go mod crazy.

The immediate plans is to get it to run obviously and get it rego'd besides that it has a few baby dents about the size of 10 cent pieces on the drives rear guard and some clear coat runs which i'll clean up myself.

This is going to be a massive experience for me so you'll have to excuse the stupid questions and dumb things i do, but im always up for taking criticisms and advise as i know nothing about these kind of cars! looking forward to building this car up so much though!

welcome to forced induction!!!!

be interested to see you impressions of these cars vs your commodores (good and bad) as I have not even driven one before ....

I will definately put up a comparison! i did do a silly post on here before asking for pro's and con's and from what i could understand most of the guys that ride around in S chassis have stayed away from commodores.

I still have my VN as thats about to have a T04z strapped to the side of the 5.0, but i imagine the sil will be a lot stiffer. My commodores have all been old though i've had two VK's (1985) and my VN SS (1990) so it'd be a pretty good comparison between the VN and the sil :) looking forward to picking it up on sunday night!

Wow that needs some rims

Haha, Indeed it does, but these will do fine for getting it over the pits then getting rid of these will be the first thing i do most likely.

Are these stock rims or just ugly ? lol

So i was meant to pick up the sil80 tomorrow arvo but got a text that made me happy just after lunch! (excuse the sheety iphone pics)

On our way home :)

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/Hoskaa/IMG_0379_zps7518e19e.jpg

The inside.

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/Hoskaa/IMG_0386_zps2770c514.jpg

Engine bay! i have no idea what the intake manifold is ? if anyone knows can they tell me haha.

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/Hoskaa/IMG_0388_zps53ae2c1f.jpg

As you can see the roof isn't actually black its a dark blue, which unfortunately isn't the same colour as the mirrors...mirrors will likely get sprayed white like the rest of the body.

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/Hoskaa/IMG_0387_zpsf8dfeb28.jpg

so obviously she needs a bit of a tidy up few niggling things that will irritate me but shouldn't be too hard to clean up, now just waiting for the battery to charge so i can start trouble shooting!

that intake plenum is a Greddy 'style' intake. by 'style' i mean copy, by copy i mean fake. but thats ok cos brand new they are nearly 1k.

got plans to change the rear bar to stock? or get a kit for the rest of the car?

that intake plenum is a Greddy 'style' intake. by 'style' i mean copy, by copy i mean fake. but thats ok cos brand new they are nearly 1k.

got plans to change the rear bar to stock? or get a kit for the rest of the car?

I've had a little quick look at kits and like the look of the instant gentleman kit so i might go that,

but its not really a priority for me atm as im just trying to clean it up for roardworthy.

As for getting it running today, got a new battery and wacked it in, all the electrics work fine power windows etc, the right mirror doesn't like to fold in so you have to give it a tap probably just needs some lubrication though. Car turns over has spark and fuel!

besides that there is a leak under my intake manifold from one of the fittings so that came off today and will hopefully go back on tomorrow. The boost gauge was hooked up to this ?

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/Hoskaa/IMG_0394_zpsc5f49260.jpg

I've have found that the fuel in the tank has likely been sitting in there for about 8 months so its obviously not good especially if you're trying to start a car that hasnt been started in a while. So tomorrow hopefully get this fitting fixed and then run the car for codes and see what it comes up with.

also saw a nice clean 180 coming into Beeliar and made me sad mine wasn't on the road aswell as i plodded along infront of him in my V8 Commonwhore :(

Edited by Traitor

So, i've been trying to spend some time on this after work everyday as im on earlies this week.

Still trying to find that stupid fitting for the bottom of my manifold, hitting up coventry fastners this arvo.

as for the rest i've taken the rocker cover off, after much frustration and a large amount of swearing i finally got the final nut off because the stud was stripped and now has a lovely polish to it! so ill probably order an entire set off ebay and replace all of them at once.

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/Hoskaa/Sil80/IMG_0399_zps0023dd52.jpg

as for the rest are the tops of these engines usually this dry lol ? probably a stupid question but needs to be asked.

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/Hoskaa/Sil80/IMG_0398_zps2f836b1a.jpg

i did check the oil level before seemed a little low but i'll likely dump it and do a service, also wanted to check if i had rocker stoppers which i dont :( so will be making a purchase shortly!

hopefully will get out this weekend put the manifold back on and see if she starts with some un 8 month old petrol that isn't a dirty yellowy brown colour.

PS: the battery in my SS shorted and exploded so ive taken the funding from my fully manualised TH400 to pour into the sil to get it back on the road

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/Hoskaa/Sil80/IMG_0401_zps5a835e2a.jpg

i have been driving it with an exploded battery for a week! but i think its time for a replacement...

Always happy to have converts!

Hope you enjoy your Sil80 as much as I enjoy my Silvia!

And it'll be good to see you at a cruise or other club event once you have this running.

Always happy to have converts!

Hope you enjoy your Sil80 as much as I enjoy my Silvia!

And it'll be good to see you at a cruise or other club event once you have this running.

i hope so too haha, i've noticed the "simpler" things on the sil seem to be a bit more time consuming than on the V8 as they're alot more complicated, but im hoping that correlates with the output of the car :P

hopefully ill be down for next months cruise!

Okay,

so i got stuck into the sil this weekend because i really wana get her started, got the fuel pump back in after draining it, put some new fuel in, put the intake plenum back in after getting a new fitting and....

SHE STARTED only for a few seconds but its a start...tried then a bit later and it wouldn't go but has a lot of fuel in it. so im thinking its the CAS noticed this was second hand anyway so going to get a whole new unit to chuck on just to be safe :).

besides that ill just be cleaning it up painting the wipers fixing some of the interior trims etc as little things like that sheet me up the wall lol. but if all goes well ill be at the next cruise!

Not feeling the motorvation so much anymore :P, guess thats what i get for buying an unrunning unrego'd car haha.

took the rocker cover off so i could do the CAS timing this arvo and ran into a problem. one of the guides broke so the rocker wasn't even sitting in place so that's going to need to be replaced and i will be getting some rocker stoppers aswell. besides that the timing is out by half a tooth.

is this enough to make it not run and flood ? so i have some work ahead of me but it will get done eventually....or ill get so frustrated that ill just pull the engine out and rebuild it because thats obviously just the easiest thing to do and wont take long at all.....

Finally got a shim and guide!!

my engine builder gave me some for free :) as he's a top bloke.

so those will be going in this arvo hopefully and ill fire her up and see if she wants to go now that its not trying to run on 3 pistons.

Also while i was talking to my engine builder, he offered me a cheap RB26 with a 25 head that he has laying around which i would fully rebuild and chuck in so i am now tossing up between this and the SR20...as this is MEANT to be my daily i think im leaning to the SR20 more as it's already in there has wiring etc better on fuel. not to mention i only really want around 300-350rwhp which i've read is easily obtainable from an SR motor with reliability.

but feel free to weigh in! will update this afternoon *crosses fingers*

Finally got a shim and guide!!

my engine builder gave me some for free :) as he's a top bloke.

so those will be going in this arvo hopefully and ill fire her up and see if she wants to go now that its not trying to run on 3 pistons.

Also while i was talking to my engine builder, he offered me a cheap RB26 with a 25 head that he has laying around which i would fully rebuild and chuck in so i am now tossing up between this and the SR20...as this is MEANT to be my daily i think im leaning to the SR20 more as it's already in there has wiring etc better on fuel. not to mention i only really want around 300-350rwhp which i've read is easily obtainable from an SR motor with reliability.

but feel free to weigh in! will update this afternoon *crosses fingers*

thats good news!

imo if you only want this as a daily, then keep the SR. it will serve the purpose just fine.

out of interest. how much is he chasing for the RB?

thats good news!

imo if you only want this as a daily, then keep the SR. it will serve the purpose just fine.

out of interest. how much is he chasing for the RB?

We'll my family has been going to southsides for over 25 years so we give them a lot of business and are repeat customers haha, so a lot of the stuff i get is cheaper than most other people would get it. but he said approx 4-5k fully forged (with me doing assembly).

The only reason i am even considering it is because of how cheap it is, it's an N1 block aswell. and i LOVE the sound of RB engines haha. even if i dont put it in I'm considering buying it building it and selling it just for some fun :)

i have some 16inch rota grids in that dark brownish metal colour with about 95% tread nexon n3k's if you interested, uh 1 of the rim has a slight dent from uhm bunnings, seat was so low i couldnt see my surroundings rammed a sewage drain curb @ 40km/p

i have some 16inch rota grids in that dark brownish metal colour with about 95% tread nexon n3k's if you interested, uh 1 of the rim has a slight dent from uhm bunnings, seat was so low i couldnt see my surroundings rammed a sewage drain curb @ 40km/p

Cheers for the offer but no thanks mate, cosmetic upgrades etc are not on the cards atm as my main focus is to get the car on the road.

as for news! i have a mate bringing over his scan tool this arvo to see if he can workout whats up with the car, we put the shim and guide in to no avail :( but hopefully we can sort it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so she runs but a little rackety :(.

going to bleed the HLA's and make sure everything is tight n shmick like it should be give it a decent service and go from there.

im also thinking about ditching this faker greddy manifold and going back to factory setup, as from what i understand the factory setup should be easily capable of my 300rwhp goal.

if anyone can answer as i did a search and couldn't find a thing...whats the advantage of running the greddy styled intakes obviously you can use top feed injectors which are usually larger and give you option to run e85 ect but for a mildly modded engine isn't a bit of a waste to have so much flow when the stock unit will go well enough and probably produce a better curve than a crapily casted faker...which someone has tried to port and polish horribly.

let the clean up begin though! heres a list of what im planning to tackle next.

- General tidy up (replace clamps make sure brakcets are fitted properly etc)

- Service (Belts, oil, plugs etc)

- get some better strut braces

- tuck away some of the wiring and cover with conduit

- detail the car

- replace fuel hoses that go into tank as they're perished.

- fit roght hand headlight properly as it wobbles.

- replace steering boot

After all this tidy up is done ill run it through the pits and see what it gets rejected for...theres always something :P

Standard intake will still be able to run top feed injectors. The greddy intake is better than the standard for flow, but the difference is minimal. Any differences will be in the top end, or a higher power figure. I would say to stick with the greddy, its not worth swapping intakes for no gain. Although china, it should do the job fine.

Standard intake will still be able to run top feed injectors. The greddy intake is better than the standard for flow, but the difference is minimal. Any differences will be in the top end, or a higher power figure. I would say to stick with the greddy, its not worth swapping intakes for no gain. Although china, it should do the job fine.

Cheers Joo,

i may just try clean it up a little then as the casting is pretty crappy quality on it and someone has hacked the crap out of it with a die grinder lol, and apparently we have sever weather warnings this arvo so no car tinkering for me! :(

finally got around to doing some work on this while there was no rain on friday arvo...aaaand i made a boo boo.

dropped one of the shims down the oil drain hole because im a derpy.

so will probably get a magnetic flexi tool and shove it down there see if it picks it up if not ill take the pans off...aaaand if that doesn't work im pretty much stuck to take the engine out and pull it appart which will likely result in a forged rebuild of some sort, fate shall decide the future of this car!

• 3 weeks later...

So Cancer came around to mine yesterday with his truck and towed it to my parents place, as they have a much flatter spot for my car so its easier to work on...the driveway at mine is downhill and a massive pain in the ass.

just wanted to say thanks and that he obviously knows what hes doing wasn't worried for a second during loading travel and unloading, even helped me push it to where i needed it to be DEFINITELY recomend his services especially when he'll look after the silwa guys!

so hopefully working on this will get a big kick in the ass ASAP as the turbo setup will be going on the SS soon so i wont be able to drive it much :). more updates to come!