How to make my the my bov silent

Hi I need help ASAP, as I'm taking the car to the pits for the bloody 3rd time tomorrow, they are winging about my flutter is too loud, I'm currently running with no bov, so can someone just help to make this sheet silent just for pits tomorrow and I'll love you forever!

Recirculating bov and pvc pipe ahoy.

Plumb it up, paint it black, wind your boost down and wallah!

Cheap, quick, removeable and it works.

Willing to help me out? I'll buy you dinner? :)

Borrow a stock setup for the day, it's a 10 min job to install

isnt that illegal for them to fail you on that? as i understood the problem is that the blow of valves that are illegal are atmospheric and its an emissions thing not a decible thing. you should be well within your rights to ask for another inspector.

isnt that illegal for them to fail you on that? as i understood the problem is that the blow of valves that are illegal are atmospheric and its an emissions thing not a decible thing. you should be well within your rights to ask for another inspector.

Nope, is to be silent in operation, hence the point in having one in the first place.

When I went over my inspector told me my flutter was too loud and it should be silent, I argued the point and he wouldn't budge.

I also highly doubt that any other inspector would side with you over a co-worker unless they had they some kind of feud going on over the semi-cute 40 yr old receptionist who can still dance the macarena like a 32 yr old and dreams of forging a strong career in animal testing someday

the easiest way to do it is, take the clip that holds to wastage actuator rod to the waste gate flap off, and take the rod off the flap and leave it to the side, it will run non turbo for the pits and will make no sound what so ever, worked every time :)

the easiest way to do it is, take the clip that holds to wastage actuator rod to the waste gate flap off, and take the rod off the flap and leave it to the side, it will run non turbo for the pits and will make no sound what so ever, worked every time :)

^

Alright will do that, I just want to pass :)

finally the plumback saved me! :D but i fail on the exhaust farrk and front chassis rail :(

Front Chassis Rail? Oh O

the guy that owned it earlier cut it out a little bit to fit the intercooler, but got my panels to get it done monday morning.

finally the plumback saved me! :D but i fail on the exhaust farrk and front chassis rail :(

Front Chassis Rail? Oh O

the guy that owned it earlier cut it out a little bit to fit the intercooler, but got my panels to get it done monday morning.

Oh okay, i was thinking that didnt sound good. Do you mean the reo bar?

Front Chassis Rail? Oh O

Oh okay, i was thinking that didnt sound good. Do you mean the reo bar?

nah the chassis it self, just gotta get a bracket and weld it up back so it'll look normal, nothing major.. but they just being wankers

I also highly doubt that any other inspector would side with you over a co-worker unless they had they some kind of feud going on over the semi-cute 40 yr old receptionist who can still dance the macarena like a 32 yr old and dreams of forging a strong career in animal testing someday

And this is why jesus is your homie blair.

• 4 weeks later...

what you fail on your exhaust ? my s15 failed cos muffler sticks out too much :/

They shouldn't be reinspecting your car, only checking off the defects they found the first time.

I wouldn't let them fail my for flutter. The only argument they have is that it's allowing oil vapour out to the world without being processed (which is why the BOV must be silent, it's plumbing those deadly gasses back into the engine to be 'processed'). Flutter doesn't allow anything out, it's merely the noise created by the way the air is reacting through the intake and turbo.

I dare say it'd be an interesting argument and may take more than dealing with the inspector I have at the time (remember kids, you have the right to request a different inspector as well as the right to speak to the manager at the pits if you feel they are talking sheet).

They shouldn't be reinspecting your car, only checking off the defects they found the first time.

I wouldn't let them fail my for flutter. The only argument they have is that it's allowing oil vapour out to the world without being processed (which is why the BOV must be silent, it's plumbing those deadly gasses back into the engine to be 'processed'). Flutter doesn't allow anything out, it's merely the noise created by the way the air is reacting through the intake and turbo.

I dare say it'd be an interesting argument and may take more than dealing with the inspector I have at the time (remember kids, you have the right to request a different inspector as well as the right to speak to the manager at the pits if you feel they are talking sheet).

I had this argument with a pits inspector, he said it wasn't to do with any gasses leaving the car, but rather the unnecessary turbo noise. He told me that as it didn't make that noise from factory it shouldn't be doing it now.

I didn't really know how to counter that, so I just re-installed my stock bov

Blair on top of that, SR's dont come stock with a pod filter, excuse = induction noise caused by a permitted pod filter?

It's a load of crap because it's supposed to be about emissions, keeping the correct dB and legality within the exhaust.

I seriously would have fought that A ) you have a permit for a pod filter, B) Pod filter is causing 'excessive' induction noise caused by having no BOV ) Explaining you have no bov to counter the noise due to the fact that their illegal (A/M one or one at all). I probably sound stupid but i guess the more you coatse the inspector into understanding your efforts and ethics towards why you did what you did, then the better chance you have

of them being leniant.

Edited by STUNTN
Blair on top of that, SR's dont come stock with a pod filter, excuse = induction noise caused by a permitted pod filter?

It's a load of crap because it's supposed to be about emissions, keeping the correct dB and legality within the exhaust.

I seriously would have fought that A ) you have a permit for a pod filter, B) Pod filter is causing 'excessive' induction noise caused by having no BOV ) Explaining you have no bov to counter the noise due to the fact that their illegal (A/M one or one at all). I probably sound stupid but i guess the more you coatse the inspector into understanding your efforts and ethics towards why you did what you did, then the better chance you have

of them being leniant.

I don't have permits for anything, Jesse. Have never been requested to get permits in the 6-7 passes I've had over the pits for any of my mods and I can't permit my coilovers as they don't have brake line mounts.

Stock blow off valves are legal, it's only the atmo ones they have a winge about, I was running dose because the atmo bov my 15 came with sounded terrible and I had never bothered to source a stock one.

I told the man why I was running the car in that setup, but I think you're overestimating the amount of caring/fracks they give about anyone's sob story. As far he was concerned, my car didn't have a stock setup and therefore he had the perfect excuse to re-issue me with a yellow and send me back through the system to be shafted for another $65.

I also figure that 90% of the people these guys/gals deal with each day will have amazing excuses for everything they fault. They have probably heard excuses ranging from compelling tear jerking sob stories about not having enough money to buy their mum a kidney transplant to "because frack you, that's why". I'm sure hearing the same sheet day in and day out would make you a rather callous and hatred-riddled person and less likely to listen to anyones reasoning about induction noise.

You can't even use logic to argue with these people as they operate under a slightly warped set of rules conjured forth by the all-powerful and money hungry entity known as the dpi. They hide behind these rules to the point where any argument you bring forth can be discounted with a simple "I'm just following the rules set by the dpi" or my favourite "I have 2 kids, and the last thing I want is for a person like you to go out there and kill them because you don't have a mesh in front of your intercooler" I have no clue how to counter it. If I ever have to take anything over the pits again, I might try to use the "let me speak to your manager" line, Crumz reckons it works so it must be worth a shot.

I had this argument with a pits inspector, he said it wasn't to do with any gasses leaving the car, but rather the unnecessary turbo noise. He told me that as it didn't make that noise from factory it shouldn't be doing it now.

I didn't really know how to counter that, so I just re-installed my stock bov

I got told the exact same thing with my wrx, after three different inspections that were ment to be just for the bov I continued to get picked on other stuff until i literally put everything back to stock from fmic to top mount pod to airbox etc lol. The excuse they continued to give me was that its louder then a normal wrx straight out the factory i argued that my permit for bov indicates there's a good chance it would be louder but he kept quiet and gave me my list of altercations that i must do including the bov again ahah ....

Realistically i believe arguing with an inspector on rules etc rarely works so i suggest Try and find an adjustable one it worked for me i set it on lowest and covered the it in tape so it was quiete as!

Edited by N1GAPLZ