Carbon Bride copies on gumtree

*1. Prices only applicable to customers who purchase the seat(s) with one of these seat mounts ($150 each side):

So you've gotta buy $300 worth of seat rails too.

before i start im not trashing any individual seller.

But was there not safety issues raised about the copied racing seats being used. ie in an accident they may not hold together/provide the support needed to prevent a back injury?

Take away the BRIDE logo, take away the JDMohsotiteyo, add on the fact that they're probably not even carbon fibre, but rather an overlay.

$400 a seat + $150 for a rail. Does that sound like a good deal anymore?

You can get a Sparco fixed-back for that $, a company that actually (1) tested their seats in accordance to relevant crash regulations and (2) have the certifications for it.

Think about it.

(and LOL at giving you a FIA sticker)

I really doubt that copies would be ADR approved. If they're fake, don't get them. I would rather be thrown around in a stock seat, than potentially being stabbed from a copy seat snapping/cracking in the event of an accident.

Query him if they're ADR approved.

Interesting topic…

Just thought I’d share my opinion / experience about this issue. (Because I use a lot of cheaper alternative products to get things going)

Hopefully some people do get something out of this.

First of all, I had the same thinking in the beginning. I had the same thinking for many of the replica automotive parts out there.

But as time goes by, again and again I got assured many of the products out there have very good quality.

I started googling for broken replica bride seats and the related topics. Guess what? I couldn’t find anything suggesting they would fail.

A lot of people do say negative things about them in forums but none of them actually had the products themself to prove that.

When I saw them in my mate’s S15, I was really surprised with the build quality. It wasn’t like what people have said. They are actually built to a very high standard!

My mate also told me he was told that there are many different manufacturers out there. China, Taiwan, and Japan. Some buy from dodgy manufacturers, some choose their manufacturers carefully.

I then thought I’d ask about the ADR approval since I might be getting a pair for myself.

After speaking to the ADR body, I was told ADR (Australian Design Rules) are just national standards for road vehicles. Much like the Australian Engineering Standards. **Saying a product is ADR approved is like saying an engineering design is “Australian Engineering Standards approved”**

The ADR body DO NOT test / approve any product. ADR are just a set of standards to follow. The ADR body review and set these rules / standards for design.

O.E manufacturers then design their products to comply with these standards. They would have to rigorously test their products according to the test requirements to prove that they comply. Tests for seats would have to be carried out in the form of crash tests, mounted in a vehicle.

Now, I then asked…..what about many products out there which are claimed to be “ADR Approved”. The person on the phone said to me if it is aftermarket, it is not possible and we do not know how they can make that claim. Original Equipment Manufacturers like Holden and Toyota test the whole car in crash tests. The way seats will react to a crash will vary in different vehicles.

If the vehicle chassis absorbs more impact, the seats will have to cope less. So in short, seats only comply with ADR / tested to ADR, mounted in the vehicle they come in.

When you move seats from one car to another, YOU as the user, make the assumption that they still comply with ADR.

Secondly, original bride seats are made of carbon fiber / fibreglass. There are different models. And of course, they are not tested to ADR. In short, there is no way to prove that they comply with ADR!

But because of the brand, people use them without a doubt. There is no way they can mount their seats in 100 different cars and crash test every one of them to show the seats won’t break in those cars under such impact, from such direction.

Being a mechanical engineer myself and having done materials engineering at Uni, we got to play with composites and carry out tests on CF reinforced plastic and the adhesive.

If you know your stuff, you won’t blindly make silly judgements like that.

Same for many fake aftermarket products such as conrods, crankshafts, pistons, suspension etc etc etc. There are the dodgy ones and there are the proper ones, done using proper manufacturing processes, just without the brand name.

Speak to people, see for yourself, and you’ll understand.

It’s like how I built my carbon fiber bike using cheap replica products. My housemate insisted on using branded carbon fiber parts (90% of all carbon fiber bike parts are made in Taiwan). He ended up spending a hell lot more than I did.

Making carbon fiber is not rocket science. It is just that high volume, high speed production is still an issue in today’s world.

In terms of getting the right strength and quality by hand laying, countless people already have the capability. You could even do it in your backyard if you had learnt.

Those who have learnt from uni will know.

If you tell me about the big differences in quality 10 years ago I’d agree. But today, it’s not a new thing anymore.

And oh yes….talking about “ADR approval”…..

Drive to a pit and get your beloved car checked or piss a cop off and get a yellow sticker.

You tell me how many of you will pass the ADR requirements and get out of the pit without fixing anything.

People have to be constructive in what they think / say...

Pretty decent post there man.

Im also one of those guys that uses non brand name parts, if the product appears to be made well il run it. fancy names and logos dont interest me, if a product is designed and made well il give it a shot. haven't been caught out yet :P i plan on getting one of these seats soonish so we will see how it goes...

A mate of mine had one and i couldn't tell it apart from a genuine one in terms of looks and build quality.

Take away the BRIDE logo, take away the JDMohsotiteyo, add on the fact that they're probably not even carbon fibre, but rather an overlay.

$400 a seat + $150 for a rail. Does that sound like a good deal anymore?

You can get a Sparco fixed-back for that $, a company that actually (1) tested their seats in accordance to relevant crash regulations and (2) have the certifications for it.

Think about it.

(and LOL at giving you a FIA sticker)

My genuine Sparco R100 recliner was $450 delivered from an Aussie dealer not on special, without rail.

86 makes a good point. and yeah there are some good products that are replicas.

however it is still hard for someone who knows very little about materials to pick a good one tho. And personally because of this i would still be cautious about choosing a replica product that performs a very important task. Seats, seat belts, tyres, brakes etc all can cause a lot of trouble if they fail.

Don't get me wrong i have used "china" products on my car (fmic, exhaust, radiators, body kits etc) but i usually try to keep it to non-moving parts and parts that are not there for safety reasons.

Motorsport is inherently dangerous and you do need to be in good physical condition to do it. sustaining an injury from a crash can put you out of the sport so i think proper safety gear is a good idea.

i always come across these bride replica adds on gumtree too, never knew wheteher to trust them or not but 86 definatley brought up some good pointers but has anyone actually spoke to the seller on gumtree in regards to the 'safety' of these seats?

Spoken to the seller today.

Met up with him to checkout the seats. I paid extra attention to the bolting points and also tried to twist and flex the seat body. All looked very sturdy and properly built. They are very huggy and man they certainly look wicked!

Just did some google searches tonight as well and found no info on safety issues related to these seats. Apparently they are widely used all over the world and very common in the states.

I guess I'll give them a go. I mean if they are widely used by so many people especially those who drift in them and have had no issues I don't see any problem with them. If there have been issues people would have shared on forums. From a forum in the states someone actually said he bought them like 5 years ago so these things have been in the market for a long while.

Paid a deposit and hopefully I can get them installed in a couple of weeks time when I get my salary. Looking forward to it! Will report back when I have them in my car.

one idea as to why there has been little to no evidence of them failing or being unsafe is that there are not all that many serious crashes, and in particular ones that have been a crash that involved seat structurability. even if a minority have had a bad experience with these particular seats in a serious crash involving the seats there is still a low chance they would have posted it on the interweb for us to come across. personally i see seats as i see helmets- you are basically putting a price on your head. i dont want no sheety chinese helmet. and nor do i want a chinese seat. thats just my opinion.

Can't post something when your seat has snapped in half and speared you through your chest.

The dead don't talk. :help:

Edited by SR14WA
Can't post something when your seat has snapped in half and speared you through your chest.

The dead don't talk. :help:

Word^

If your gonna run fake seats, why not run shoe lace seat belts and alfoil buckles?

Sure you don't know if they're gonna work in a crash but hey your clearly willing to take the risk. Plus you'll save weight so you go faster!

Edited by SR14WA
  • 1 month later...

The reason i won't buy copies is mainly because of trying to keep the after market alive. Bride seats are cool but there will be no more Bride seats if everyone buys copys. Look at Trust, they went bankrupt due to all the cheap copies. There is no money for R and D if someone is going to just copy your idea / product. And then there will be no new exciting products for us to buy. And thats just sad :0(

Stumbled across this ads on gumtree this morning. Just wondering if anyone here have purchased from this guy? $800/pair for carbon VIOS III (by the look at his photo) sound pretty good deal.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bull-creek/...ffer/1018810049

We are not, at least until you've got 25 legit posts.

Also, upon reading through here a second time, brand new members who have great comments? Seems sus.