Replacing head gasket.

I've decided to take the head off my engine and repalce the headgasket, i did find a guide on how to remove the head, which is not so good, i did a quick check in the approved article sectiona nd couldnt find any guides, just wondering if anyone knows of any GOOD guides, as well as a guide for actually replacing the gasket and putting it all back together, Because i have never taken an engine apart and i have no idea what im doing.

Thanks

It's not a job I'd suggest you tackle alone, even with a guide (I very much doubt you'll find a good one). You'd be a lot better off putting on a carton and BBQ for Crumz a couple of mechanic mates.

• Like 2

It's not a job I'd suggest you tackle alone, even with a guide (I very much doubt you'll find a good one). You'd be a lot better off putting on a carton and BBQ for a couple of mechanic mates.

+1

Been there done that, fracked up learnt a bit, did it again got stuck called crumz, he helped, motor was already damaged.

Ended up having to eventually get another motor.

It's not a job I'd suggest you tackle alone, even with a guide (I very much doubt you'll find a good one). You'd be a lot better off putting on a carton and BBQ for a couple of mechanic mates.

Dude i got a webber where the car is at my mum and dads haha.

Just finished taking most of the engine apart, everything is off except for the head, so i just need to purchase a breaker bar and get the head off, after that it's just inspecting to see if i do just need to replace the gasket or get a new engine, its just the putting the engine back together and getting the torx correct that i dont know about.

It's not a job I'd suggest you tackle alone, even with a guide (I very much doubt you'll find a good one). You'd be a lot better off putting on a carton and BBQ for Crumz a couple of mechanic mates.

If its a stock organic head gasket your gonna be putting a new headgasket on regardless if you pull the head off haha

Also make sure you loosen the bolts on cams, etc. in the right order so you don't break anythings

They are 100% in the service manual man, will be in the part for putting it back together. Can confirm the S14 manual has them in it as I used it to do my motor.

that gasket isnt in very good nick, unless it got stuck to the block when you pulled it off?

id clean the surfaces and get a LEGIT straight edge and check it. at minimum machine head and new gasket, pending block is okay. its all ally so if one is warped high changes the other will be too.

i recently purchased an SR with blown HG and it turned out the head and block faces are warped beyond repair. gasket looked fine but was still leaking coolant into combustion chamber.

Interesting, I thought the machine shop would test that first? Otherwise they probably would have issues machine the head.

As above though, clean the surfaces and use a straight edge and feeler blade.

If the head is warped, it is fairly cheap to get another one at least. I rebuilt mine, in total for about $700 (head only). I did also order a whole new gasket kit too, then I got out of hand and rebuilt my entire car.

Here's a good diagram:

head-gasket.gif

Edited by volt_bite

So a bit of the update, The heads being machined at the moment, ive got new bolts and metal headgasket to pick up tomorrow, then im going to take the car to a shop, And get them to re-assemble everything but to check the block before they do anything.

Why a shop? That won't work.

Mechs hate nothing more (and I speak personally, but for all of us) then some cnut that has thought "How hard can it be? Oh sheet it's hard lets take it to a pro" with some sheetty bag of bolts without any fracking info and crap everywhere and the expectation to do the job 100% and provide a warranty (even tho you won't do the things that need to be done to provide a warranty) and then bitch and moan when the problem isn't resolved because the HG wasn't the fcuking problem to start with.

It's a general rant. But this is a job that needs to be started and finished by the same person. It is possible to put it back together, but fcuk me it aint a good feeling when you're the cnut that got handed the dregs and told to put humpty dumpty back together again.

You've done half of it. Man up and put her together. The hardest part is the valve timing. Like I said, find some one that can help you, put on some beers and when you've got everything, it can be done in a few hours. You'll learn lots, you'll save cash, you may make a new friend and when you're taking it on that first drive after getting it started, you'll have a feeling that I can guarantee you, you've never had before. There is always a big elation when you do such an involved job and then turn the key and she purrs. It beats a clutch change, it beats putting a turbo on and it even beats driving your car after getting a heap of mods tuned to 100hp more than you first had.

No I'm not offering. I'm very busy in the time I have home til Feb. Sorry :P

• Like 2

Lol if someone brought me a half done job I'll charge double just knowing the prick tried, failed and quitted. Nothing I hate more than quitters who fcks sheet up then expects someone to finish the job. It's like a parent who gave up parenting and expects everyone else to put up with their kid. Better off getting an abortion. Drop an rb

I've got the head back and a new metal headgasket, and im going to give it a shot myself, i've a got a metal headgasket to go on, and new standard headbolts, do I need change how i torque the head down because i've changed the head gasket or do the same as the FSM sayd because they're the same bolts?

• Like 1