Brand new thermostat stuck open

Hey guys,

I've had a crack at the search function, maybe I'm too dumb but I've got an issue I can't seem to figure out myself.

My S15 would previously have cooling challenges on long hills, hot ambient temps etc, with temps sometimes getting up near the 100 deg C mark. Usually between 85 & 93 on long highway drives though.

As such, I decided to put in a bigass radiator, replace the water pump and install a new thermostat. I got a Tridon TT2028-170, wanting to keep the opening temp the same, but higher flow above 80 degrees.

With this opening temp (76.5 degrees), and a bigger radiator, I had hoped I could keep temperatures between about 78-85 at all times.

Installing everything went fine, didn't have to forego any shrouding or fans or anything. The thermostat seemed all good too, fit fine, jiggle valve at top, no leaks on install etc.

Problem is, now it won't heat up!

The thermostat seems to be fully open from about 50 degrees, with coolant flowing through all circuits, and due to the bigger radiator I can only get temps up to between 60 & 68 degrees, after about 3 years of waiting.

It's a brand new thermostat and I figured I wouldn't have to test it in hot water, but I probably should have.

Has anyone ever experienced this? See the below photo as to positioning, I did a very careful job of gooping the housing up with grey RTV on install.

I'm thinking I'll chuck the old one back in, but can't for the life of me figure how something as simple as a thermostat would fail.

post-14382-0-13939300-1478085379_thumb.jpg

TL;DR Brand new tridon thermostat opening at about 50 degrees, can't get engine up to temp.

Are you using an aftermarket temp sensor in a different location to the factory one?

Some silicone or something could potentially wedge it open. Take it out and put it in a glass of hot water to see how it opens. If you got some kind of temperature sensor you could even add boiling water slowly to the glass of water to see at what temps it starts doing things.

Are you using an aftermarket temp sensor in a different location to the factory one?

Some silicone or something could potentially wedge it open. Take it out and put it in a glass of hot water to see how it opens. If you got some kind of temperature sensor you could even add boiling water slowly to the glass of water to see at what temps it starts doing things.

I have an aftermarket sensor but it matches the standard gauge in the dash - normally it sits dead in the middle and it's only getting to about a quarter of the way up.

I was wondering if potentially I did something wrong on install, but I was extremely careful with the silicone, and I don't think it's jamming anything up. I tested the old stock one in a pot and slowly raised temp, and it opened just fine a bit below 80 degrees. Should've checked the new one, still can't get why it would be open at such low temps though.

could just be a faulty thermostat, id test it in some water to be sure. i dunno how good tridon stuff is.

the reason i asked about the sensor location is obviously that if its on your radiator outlet its going to read alot cooler than what your actual engine coolant temp is